Subwoofer

hlkns

Aug 3, 2024
Visit site
Hi. I am in process of choosing subwoofer for my hi fi system.

Im just wondering what is better option, to choose car subwoofers like JL audio or choose speaker for home use.

Amplifier: Crown XLI1500
8ohms bridged: 900w rms
2x channels 4ohms: 450w rms

It looks like it much easier to find car subwoofer than for home.

Could you please give some advice regarding this? By the way I will build box my self so speaker must have all parameters by manufacturer.

All advice is welcome and thank you in advance!

twinkletoes

Hi. I am in process of choosing subwoofer for my hi fi system.

Im just wondering what is better option, to choose car subwoofers like JL audio or choose speaker for home use.

Amplifier: Crown XLI1500
8ohms bridged: 900w rms
2x channels 4ohms: 450w rms

It looks like it much easier to find car subwoofer than for home.

Could you please give some advice regarding this? By the way I will build box my self so speaker must have all parameters by manufacturer.

All advice is welcome and thank you in advance!
So you want to go a diy route is that what you mean buy easier to find a car subwoofer?

Car subs can work but most are made to be as loud as possible and boom as as hard as they can. Do your research and there every bit as good as the home audio counterparts. I am just talking about cones here and not a pre made box solution. Which aren’t that good. Remember most car subs will require a separate outboard amp domestic subs have this built in and are designed to run off mains electric. And think finding a sub is hard wait until you start looking for amp plates.

Domestic sub brands

Svs
Rel
Velodyne
Kef
Monitor audio
B&W
BK electrical

Many many more so certainly not hard to find a subwoofer. One that suits your wallet might be a different story

hlkns

Aug 3, 2024
Visit site
So you want to go a diy route is that what you mean buy easier to find a car subwoofer?

Car subs can work but most are made to be as loud as possible and boom as as hard as they can. Do your research and there every bit as good as the home audio counterparts. I am just talking about cones here and not a pre made box solution. Which aren’t that good. Remember most car subs will require a separate outboard amp domestic subs have this built in and are designed to run off mains electric. And think finding a sub is hard wait until you start looking for amp plates.

Domestic sub brands

Svs
Rel
Velodyne
Kef
Monitor audio
B&W
BK electrical

Many many more so certainly not hard to find a subwoofer. One that suits your wallet might be a different story
Thank you for reply. Yes I would like to go DIY route.

I have amplifier already and I am carpenter by trade so I would like to build enclosure myself.

When I search for speaker driver all search results mostly end up with car subwoofers.. Or home sub with enclosure and integrated plate amp.

I would say budget for speaker is £400.

Also couple questions:
1. Crown XLI 1500 rated 900w rms @ 8 ohms when bridged. That means it can't go lower than 8ohms?

Before I was wondering about this one:

4ohm, 500w RMS. There is box design by manufacturer tuned at 35hz. Ive got one in car and it sounds great. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

hlkns

Aug 3, 2024
Visit site
Update:
Just ordered B&C speaker.

We will see how its going to sound. Now just wondering which enclosure to choose, sealed or ported. 🙂

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
Not Sure why you would want to go with a car sub... By the time you buy the box, amps and the labor, you would be better off to buy a home sub that's already enclosed and power by an onboard amp. I guess you may save a little money but I doubt it would be worth it...

hlkns

Aug 3, 2024
Visit site
Not Sure why you would want to go with a car sub... By the time you buy the box, amps and the labor, you would be better off to buy a home sub that's already enclosed and power by an onboard amp. I guess you may save a little money but I doubt it would be worth it...
I Was thinking about car sub just because I am more used to it. I am going DIY route not to save money but because if you buy pre-made and just plug it in its so dead boring 😊

Any thoughts on B&C 12TBX100 speaker?

Reactions: spl84

hlkns

Aug 3, 2024
Visit site
Received loudspeaker and I am really dissapointed. I don't know why but it doesn't sound right.

Can someone give me some thoughts why? Did I just bought shitty speaker? I build box as per manufacturer recomendation 40l net volume with port, tuned at 42HZ.

I am comparing it with Focal P20F which sounds much better in a sealed box.

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
What is your definition of 'doesn't sound right'?

Have you low passed the signal going into the sub?

How did you determine the port? Did you recalculate the box volume to include the addition of the port (the port should not be counted for box volume, as it does not contribute compliance to the system)?

Is the cabinet otherwise airtight?

Is the port flared?

Have you added acoustic wadding into the box?

hlkns

Aug 3, 2024
Visit site
What is your definition of 'doesn't sound right'?

Have you low passed the signal going into the sub?

How did you determine the port? Did you recalculate the box volume to include the addition of the port (the port should not be counted for box volume, as it does not contribute compliance to the system)?

Is the cabinet otherwise airtight?

Is the port flared?

Have you added acoustic wadding into the box?
Thank you for your reply!

1. I don't know, but it doesn't sound right! It's hard to describe. I can hear like mechanical noise from speaker itself. Even in free air it doesn't go low at all.

2. I am using Yamaha AS-301 sub out which I believe is 90hz.

3. I was using website to create box, which has all features, like port width and length. 40l is net volume + port. Box tuned at 42hz.

4. Enclosure ir made from MDF 18mm. Glued and screwed together. Slot port. It's not air tight because it's ported.

5. I havent added any wadding.

Even if I compare car sub (Focal P20F) and this one (BNC 12TBX100) in free air car sub plays 10x better. :(

P.s. I'm quite sure even if I add this speaker to sealed box it won't sound right.

hlkns

Aug 3, 2024
Visit site
Update:
Just bought Alpine R2-12D4.
Wired at 8ohms.

Built sealed enclosure, sounds deep and nice on same setup. Can't understand what was wrong with BNC speaker.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts