Subwoofer Settings for Music Questions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AJM1981

Thanks for your response .Love Drum and Bass as well as dance music in general.
Feel a sub is essential for that type of music. Still hard to integrate perfectly think room acoustics don't help.

Room accoustics plays the same way as with regular speakers.

Does your amp have a dedicated sub-out line port by the way? I had struggles with an older amp and my sub as seen in another topic. That was due the way it had to be connected and probably because the amp has limitations as for what output frequenties it can handle. I couldnt get more out of it than a rumble and the higher low frequencies which also the speakers could manage on their own . If that test would be my only reference I would have probably never used a sub.

Last edited:

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your response .Love Drum and Bass as well as dance music in general.
Feel a sub is essential for that type of music. Still hard to integrate perfectly think room acoustics don't help.

Dance and soul music is what I listen to in the main and the addition of the subs was definitely needed to get the full ‘feeling, if dance music.

The track LFO by LFO (Leeds Warehouse Mix) is the track to test subs. Made to rock huge warehouse parties, the low frequency bass is superb. Play it ..

Time Sparrow

Apr 12, 2021
Visit site
Room accoustics plays the same way as with regular speakers.

Does your amp have a dedicated sub-out line port by the way? I had struggles with an older amp and my sub as seen in another topic. That was due the way it had to be connected and probably because the amp has limitations as for what output frequenties it can handle. I couldnt get more out of it than a rumble and the higher low frequencies which also the speakers could manage on their own . If that test would be my only reference I would have probably never used a sub.
My amp does not have a sub out , I am connected high level like the way Rel acoustics recommends (my sub even know not a rel but has the same connection options) and I don't think.this is the problem. Would say 80 percent of tracks I play sound great the bass sounds like predominately it's coming from the main speakers. It's just some tracks don't sound right, however to be honest even these sound better with the sub on. So think it's just recordings and some acoustics.
Probably be just being picky. Hope to upgrade to a Rel sub when funds allow.

Time Sparrow

Apr 12, 2021
Visit site
Dance and soul music is what I listen to in the main and the addition of the subs was definitely needed to get the full ‘feeling, if dance music.

The track LFO by LFO (Leeds Warehouse Mix) is the track to test subs. Made to rock huge warehouse parties, the low frequency bass is superb. Play it ..
Have the track it's a great tune. Just hard to tell how much bass there should be when setting up.

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
Have the track it's a great tune. Just hard to tell how much bass there should be when setting up.
Definitely, I followed Rel's instructions to the letter, spent a few weeks fiddling with the crossovers and volume etc. I think I've got it right now but like you say there's still tracks it doesn't sound right on. I no longer fiddle with it and just accept that one some recordings it is what it is.

My ears like what I hear and all the tracks on the SVS Subwoofer testing playlist on Spotify sound good. That's enough to stop me fiddling....but I'm convinced it could still be better :)

Time Sparrow

Apr 12, 2021
Visit site
Despite , not having a Rel I used there guide to set my sub up, but I found better results in my room having the crossover at 80Hz and the gain at 10 or 11 o'clock. (Still expermenting). I do however think this is due to the gain ramp and nature off the crossover being different to the rel.
If I had a Rel (which I hope to get at somepoint) I think their instructions would yield the best results.

How are your Rels ? Heard nothing but praise for them if you use them in a music system? How's the build quality as well?

Rel is relieving the replacement for the TI series today, looking forward to seeing them.

AJM1981

My amp does not have a sub out , I am connected high level like the way Rel acoustics recommends (my sub even know not a rel but has the same connection options) and I don't think.this is the problem. Would say 80 percent of tracks I play sound great the bass sounds like predominately it's coming from the main speakers. It's just some tracks don't sound right, however to be honest even these sound better with the sub on. So think it's just recordings and some acoustics.
Probably be just being picky. Hope to upgrade to a Rel sub when funds allow.

It could well be that the amp is perfect for use without a sub but the weak spot in this case with one . It can be an excellent amp sound wise but lack of a dedicated output can be the bottleneck here.

I have a sub and an amp with dedicated output and compared it with an experiment with an older amp without one. The sub is just totally behaving different with the binding post connectors to the speaker 2 output on the older amp. It doesnt really produce any tight bass then and just rumbles. Also the sub'ssettings don't work given connection to the binding posts (Eq/phase etc). I think you would have a total different experience difference given an amp with a sub output.

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
Despite , not having a Rel I used there guide to set my sub up, but I found better results in my room having the crossover at 80Hz and the gain at 10 or 11 o'clock. (Still expermenting). I do however think this is due to the gain ramp and nature off the crossover being different to the rel.
If I had a Rel (which I hope to get at somepoint) I think their instructions would yield the best results.

How are your Rels ? Heard nothing but praise for them if you use them in a music system? How's the build quality as well?

Rel is relieving the replacement for the TI series today, looking forward to seeing them.
I've got 2 T5i's and I use them solely for music, I have no interest in AV/Home Cinema whatsoever.

I'm over the moon with them. Once dialled in properly they didn't only flesh out the bottom end but they seemed (to my ear anyway)to flesh out all ranges to an extent. They seemed to tame some of the brightness I was hearing from the Kef's. It feels like a proper full range sound now. I absolutely love them :)

I was originally in the market for one Rel T7i but I was lucky enough to get a nearly new T5i for £250 and the other one I paid £489 which meant 2 x 5's worked out cheaper than one 7.

These are the first subs I've had so I can't compare to other brands but I can say they work for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: andybebbs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts