Best floor standers and amp for large room and electronic music

Tommy B

Nov 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I’m new here - sorry if this has been done to death before. I have a 6m by 5m room and want very clear but warm floor standing speakers. I’ve been looking at 2nd hand ATC SCM40’s as I’ve heard great things, but worried some of my recordings that are DJ sets (and not so well recorded) will sound really bad. I currently have PMC DB1’s mounted on the wall but they are too nearfield - they sound great for the TV (another use) but dance music, they can’t cope, even though I have an active sub (a cheap ‘vibe’) Happy to spend up to £5k second hand for a really good set up. Currently have an arcam 8 amp which is nowhere near enough for big speakers. All advice much appreciated! Many thanks, Tom

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I’m new here - sorry if this has been done to death before. I have a 6m by 5m room and want very clear but warm floor standing speakers. I’ve been looking at 2nd hand ATC SCM40’s as I’ve heard great things, but worried some of my recordings that are DJ sets (and not so well recorded) will sound really bad. I currently have PMC DB1’s mounted on the wall but they are too nearfield - they sound great for the TV (another use) but dance music, they can’t cope, even though I have an active sub (a cheap ‘vibe’) Happy to spend up to £5k second hand for a really good set up. Currently have an arcam 8 amp which is nowhere near enough for big speakers. All advice much appreciated! Many thanks, Tom
Haven't got any experience of them myself, but Roksan amps have a reputation for being full bodied and packing plenty of grunt, if that is what you're after.
As far as speakers are concerned, pay attention to sensitivity if you want to maximise volume. I have a larger room (9m x5m, although listening position at about 4.5m back) and only have a 38W amp, but its plenty loud enough for my relatively sensitive (90dB) speakers.

Reactions: plastic penguin

MartinEvoke50

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
Dynaudio Evoke 50

Have you actually heard any floorstanders that you like? I use SCM40s but I’m not sure that warm is the description that first springs to mind. They have a clear and extended bass to underpin a clear and precise midrange, and they don’t flatter poor recordings. But they don’t exaggerate faults either, as they’re essentially neutral.
They can handle up to 300watts accord to the specs, so my 150 watt model hardly raises an eyebrow.
For £5000 ex demo/secondhand you could get the superior active models that cost £6800 new.

There are many other good speakers from other manufacturers but without you doing some auditioning it’s pretty impossible to suggest what.

I've heard the older Roksan K2 with old Monitor Audio RS6 - very good combo. Also, another good combo is Roksan K2 and PMC FB1.

Further up the price chain look at Leema Tucana and PMC Twenty5 26.

D

Deleted member 116933

Genelec thank me later

Genelec 7370 APM subwoofer (or any of the smaller ones but bigger better right?)
Genelec 8341 AP again one of the smaller ones might do the trick.

and I think you have to buy the room correction box

either way they have units well within your budget and will blast the tunes out louder than you can bare

Tommy B

Nov 16, 2020
Visit site
Haven't got any experience of them myself, but Roksan amps have a reputation for being full bodied and packing plenty of grunt, if that is what you're after.
As far as speakers are concerned, pay attention to sensitivity if you want to maximise volume. I have a larger room (9m x5m, although listening position at about 4.5m back) and only have a 38W amp, but its plenty loud enough for my relatively sensitive (90dB) speakers.
Thanks mate 👍

slunky

Jul 19, 2020
Visit site
I'm running proac speakers with roksan blak amp. They pair up very well, the amp has plenty of muscle.
The speakers have downward firing ports so are easy for room placement

Reactions: Tommy B

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts