subwoofer for pm6004

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
hi

i own 2 B&W M1's, it's connected to a marantz pm6004.
as you al know, the M1's don't produce any subsound, so i was searching for a suitable subwoofer.

i was told that there are subwoofer who block the highs and only let the low's through, is that true?

and what about the requirements?high level input and low level input and so on?

please help

thanks

gvlada

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Try some REL sw. I have REL T2 with PM7001 KI and MA RX2. REL use line level inputs and direct connection from amp spk out but with no intereference with sound quality.

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
so if i'm getting it right, rel subwoofers are subwoofers that let the low frequency tones through to de sb en ignore the highs?

are there other brand that do the same?

gvlada

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
There are but I can tell you only about REL cause I do have REL at home. You have separete cross over settings for stereo amp inputs and separate for LFE from AVR.

A

Anonymous

no subwoofer forget it... the Marantz PM6004 just doesn't kick and subwoofer will make things worse! And it is not designed for a sub.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
techeteri said:
no subwoofer forget it... the Marantz PM6004 just doesn't kick and subwoofer will make things worse! And it is not designed for a sub.

Prize for the most bizarre post goes to....you.

OP,

Most subwoofers have a crossover frequency dial. So choose the one you like best that also has a high level connection.

I can recommend BK subs as being great value for money.

A

Anonymous

DIB, no, I don't - for some good reasons. :read:

Frog, go ahead and explain how to connect, how *exactly* to connect the woofer to the poor Marantz. :? :boohoo: :cheer:

The fact that this amp has nothing to do with hi-fi gear doesn't mean you should be trying to make it sound worse just because you made the first step to buy it. :wall:

But wait the bass in the PM6004 was soooo good, no need to improve on it? Heh, the arguments come short once you have it in your hands . :help: How bizzare it is now :wave:

Conclusion - no sub can help the PM6004m but *will* make it worse :star: :star: :star:

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
techeteri said:
DIB, no, I don't - for some good reasons. :read:

Frog, go ahead and explain how to connect, how *exactly* to connect the woofer to the poor Marantz. :? :boohoo: :cheer:

The fact that this amp has nothing to do with hi-fi gear doesn't mean you should be trying to make it sound worse just because you made the first step to buy it. :wall:

But wait the bass in the PM6004 was soooo good, no need to improve on it? Heh, the arguments come short once you have it in your hands . :help: How bizzare it is now :wave:

Conclusion - no sub can help the PM6004m but *will* make it worse :star: :star: :star:

I'm getting flashbacks to the interview scene in Trainspotting for some reason.

Pidgin English, obvious lack of knowledge, childish emoticons everywhere. Not worth a response other than "have you heard of high level connector, usually a neutrik type that connects directly to the speaker terminals"

6edc_35.JPG

A

Anonymous

GCE the Loudness is a total non-sense. You should never use something that distorts the music like that. :shame:

Never, ever! :shhh:

NAD too little bass? :O

Frog bro, don't be an a** if you want to explain sth go ahead and explain, but try to honestly asess if you improve sonically or make tings worse! Sorry, I am not too good with languages, bear with me if you can. :oops:

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
techeteri said:
GCE the Loudness is a total non-sense. You should never use something that distorts the music like that.

Never, ever!

Who says? Each to their own. When listening quietly the human ear doesn't pick up bass so well, so a tone tweak can help improve the music...in my opinion.

techeteri said:
Frog bro, don't be an a** if you want to explain sth go ahead and explain, but try to honestly asess if you improve sonically or make tings worse! Sorry, I am not too good with languages, bear with me if you can.

Ignoring the personal attack, this makes no sense.

The OP has very small speakers that don't have much in the way of low frequency reproduction.

A sub will give him that. And it can be connected easily via high level input using the cable I showed earlier. It works rather well. It doesn't really matter which amp...so long as it isn't class D, but that's a different issue.

You have obviously had a bad experience with this amplifier, and are on a one man(??) crusade against it. It's rather childish considering how many people have it and absolutely love it.

*edit - stripped of those extremely childish and irritating emoticons.

A

Anonymous

Who says? Each to their own. When listening quietly the human ear doesn't pick up bass so well, so a tone tweak can help improve the music...in my opinion

Two wrongs don't make a right...

Let me explain - listening to music is not just momentary experience it is a long process.

Life-lasting process.

During that process you grow. Your taste grows and your ears adapt and begin to perceive different details and tones, the pleasure from music grows with time (as opposed to other domapine induced gusto's).

So basic rule in selecting your gear is to get a system which will allow for this progress to happen, to help develop your musical taste and senses. Over time you should compound you pleasure from music and get more and feel more personal with it and closer to it.

If you drink coffee with 5 spoons of sugar you will never begin to enjoy the taste of coffee itself or the nuances b/w different coffees. Some people eat too much chili and argue this is how you better feel the taste of the food, but actually the opposite is true.

And same with music, you should never add distortion deliberately to such extreme levels. You cannot make love to the music if you rape it first.

In the case of "Loudness" it is crazy amount of distortion and definitely something one should not get used to. The long-term effect will be damaging your perception of tonal correctness, rythm, timbre, balance. The biggest problem is that with time your ears will adapt slowly to the distortion to compensate it and instead of compounding on your musical experiences you will become less and less interested and bored by it. You will want more and more chili... to make it fun.

Adding a sub on "high level" as you suggest will make things much worse. I suspect it is a move in the wrong direction.

techeteri said:
If you drink coffee with 5 spoons of sugar you will never begin to enjoy the taste of coffee itself or the nuances b/w different coffees. Some people eat too much chili and argue this is how you better feel the taste of the food, but actually the opposite is true.

I've been reading your posts with interest. I think you're missing a key point: personal choice. You may prefer coffee with no sugar to enjoy the real taste of coffee, or a curry with no spice. But not everyone is the same. Many people prefer that extra sugar, or extra spice in their curry (no wonder chicken tikka masala has been voted as Britain's favourite food). It does not mean their choice is wrong.

If everyone had the same taste, there would be only one manufacturer making amplifiers or TVs etc. & food will taste the same whichever restaurant you go to (Man, that will be very boring!!!).

We're all entitled to our opinions & choice. At the same time, we must respect others opinion & choice. We can offer them our opinion, but we can't force them to like what we like.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
techeteri said:
In the case of "Loudness" it is crazy amount of distortion and definitely something one should not get used to.

'Loudness' is not a tone control as such. It is a - very badly named - control that gives emphasis to bass and treble when listening at very low volumes. (To compensate for the human ear's reduced sensitivity to low bass and high treble at such low volume levels.)

However, the loudness control has been misunderstood (and abused) for about as long as it has existed.

Paul.

The AW8 does have a high level connection, but not with a Nutrik connector mentioned above. It explains how to hook up without a sub pre out in the manual, on page 5

http://www.dali-speakers.com/Files/Filer/DALI/Manuals/AW8_10_UK_1.pdf

Cant comment on if its good or not I'm afraid.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
There is a manual here

http://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc="s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dali-speakers.com%2FAdmin%2FPublic%2FDWSDownload.aspx%3FFile%3D%252FFiles%252FFiler%252FDALI%252FManuals%252FAW8_10_UK_1.pdf&ei=65GaT4H8LorR4QSWhu3kDg&usg=AFQjCNFJX4skOv-Ry0fYv_4_QtUDi4-njQ"

Seems the Dali has normal speaker terminals, so standard speaker wire would be used rather than the above cable.

I am sure it would do just fine, although I couldn't comment on the quality.

Ah, beaten to it :)

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey Teacher: After 20 Years with Quad 306 + 34, I can tell that bass response on my B&W is better with the Marantz pm 6004 in source direct vs Quad with flat control; not only with cd, radio and vinyls, but with mp3 freq. of 30, 40, 50, ecc. Hz test disk too... ; after some test in store, I preferred this Marantz vs the good Nad 326 and 316, because without loudness key they don't have any bass at all (at low volume levels, naturally); anyway, come on: enjoy the music! ;)

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
techeteri said:
Who says? Each to their own. When listening quietly the human ear doesn't pick up bass so well, so a tone tweak can help improve the music...in my opinion

Two wrongs don't make a right...

Let me explain - listening to music is not just momentary experience it is a long process.

Life-lasting process.

During that process you grow. Your taste grows and your ears adapt and begin to perceive different details and tones, the pleasure from music grows with time (as opposed to other domapine induced gusto's).

So basic rule in selecting your gear is to get a system which will allow for this progress to happen, to help develop your musical taste and senses. Over time you should compound you pleasure from music and get more and feel more personal with it and closer to it.

And same with music, you should never add distortion deliberately to such extreme levels. You cannot make love to the music if you rape it first.

In the case of "Loudness" it is crazy amount of distortion and definitely something one should not get used to. The long-term effect will be damaging your perception of tonal correctness, rythm, timbre, balance. The biggest problem is that with time your ears will adapt slowly to the distortion to compensate it and instead of compounding on your musical experiences you will become less and less interested and bored by it. You will want more and more chili... to make it fun.

Adding a sub on "high level" as you suggest will make things much worse. I suspect it is a move in the wrong direction.

Techeteri....

Buy A budget Nad amp and you have no choice about tonal colouration as they add bass without a loudness switch (by stealth) !

At least with the PM6004 you can have a choice to listen to a more balaned presentation or you can use the loudness which will give that NAD sound :rofl:

Seriously the PM6004 is one of the better budget amps out there, yours is faulty, change it, or wash your ears out

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
At very low volume levels, Nad 326 or 316 don't reach the bass fullness of PM6004 with loudness activated...

tested with B&W, MA, Canton, Mordaunt S. ecc. on Jazz, rock and classical music .

I find very interesting the deep suggestions of Tcheri, too

x John :clap:

af24d1fa-07c8-43ef-92e4-a1cb.gif

Fletcher- Munson graphic
teach.gif

23.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts