Subwoofer for Naim Nait 5i

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

As per the title really. I've got a Mordaunt-Short MS409W sub that I use in my home cinema set-up but it only has line inputs.

Ideally I'd like to use it in my hi-fi as well (to give a little added whoomph, greedy I know!) but I can't see how I could do it, given that the 5i only has one set of speaker outputs.

What I was thinking of was to get a sub with speaker level inputs and then taking the feed from the second set of binding posts on the rear of the Dali's. But would this damage the speakers or amp?

Must admit I spend a lot of time lurking on here and thoroughly enjoy the advice and comments!

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Toby

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Any of the Rel subs would do it. They prefer the method of connecting to the speaker output rather than pre-outs, and the load they impose is miniscule. They come with a cable for such a connection as well.

A

Anonymous

I'll have a look, thanks for that. I've been looking at the BK Electronics Minotaur - I'll have to sell the MS to swing it past the missus so won't have much money to play with. What do you think?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Tobester:I'll have a look, thanks for that. I've been looking at the BK Electronics Minotaur - I'll have to sell the MS to swing it past the missus so won't have much money to play with. What do you think?

Very capable little unit, especially for music. Perhaps not the best for big bang HT.

regards

A

Anonymous

Not too worried about the big bang, musicality and timing are what I'm after. . .

My main concern is powering it, am I going to be ok taking a cable from the speakers to the sub?

Thanks.

Toby

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Tobester:My main concern is powering it, am I going to be ok taking a cable from the speakers to the sub?

Thanks.

Toby

The high-level input cable available for subwoofers like this is designed to be used between the amp and the sub. You may have to invest in some stacking banana plugs to achieve this if you're not up to soldering the connecting cable into the same plugs as the main speaker leads.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts