Subwoofer for MA BX2 5.1 - BXW10 or BK sub?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Over the last year I have been puttung together a Monitor Audio BX2 5.1 system with only the subwoofer to purchase. At around £400 (usually £450) the BXW10 is the most expensive item and I'm nearly ready to purchase it. But - after reading the forums recently it seems that there maybe some better alternatives at that price point - the BK XLS200 or XXLS400 for example. My room is 4m wide x 5m long, with laminate flooring and bare walls.

Should I go for the MA BXW10? - as it matches the rest of the speakers (both sound and looks) or should I consider something else like the BK's? - any views would be appreciated thanks.

TheGaffa

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi,I have a 5.1 Monitor Audio setup in a 21'x19' room with the BXW10 and found the bass is brilliant up to 15' away. The response is not a punchy or as taught as others I have heard, however the low level response is excellent and the sound is very deep and three dimensional. I prefer a softer deeper Bass so this Sub suits my ear better than others.The sub performs brilliantly whilst watching movies and shakes the sofa during explosive scenes, even with a carpeted floor. Music bassline's are beautifully reproduced and are not overwhelming.I have just been shopping and bought another BXW10 and am going to set it up later today, I will let you know the results.Hope this helps :)

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Cheers TheGaffa!

At the moment whilst I save my pennies, I'm still undecided between the BXW10 and the BK XXLS400.

From what I have read I seem to be able to connect the XXLS400 to both my AV & HiFi systems simultaneously. A year ago I was about to replace my Mission 780 speakers with floorstanders - probably Rega RS3's - but I decided instead to put together a home cinema system. So the XXLS400 may also give my HiFi a bass boost while I save for floorstanders - which may now take a few years since my son has recently gone to college and is costing us a fortune.

Thanks for letting me know your experience of the BXW10, let me know how you get on with two!

Jonathan

TRENDING THREADS