Subwoofer cable - QED or Chord Crimson?

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hello everyone.

Nice quick one to help an indecisive person.

I would like to connect the sub from my Quad Lites to my Denon 1910.

Should I use a QED cable or a Chord Crimson? Would the QED be leaner as with its speaker cables? Chose these two as heard a fair bit about them and noticed they are used by forum regulars.

Simple as that really - justification of your decision would be much appreciated!

Thanks boys and girls!

roten

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Avoid Chord Crimson.

I had this cable for my sub, and nothing wrong with the sound as such. But it has a problem that is rare for subwoofer cables - if you have electrical grounding problems, it will let the electricity find it's way to the sub. This will then "hum" when none of the other equipment is on. Swapping it for a QED solved the issue

A

Anonymous

giggsy1977: How would I know if I have electrical grounding problems?

You will hear the hum.

Unless you're a Believer, there's only two things that distinguish a good cable from a bad one: Plugs and shielding. If you choose a shielded cable with sturdy plugs, solidly soldered, you can't go wrong.

Experienced differences in sound are subjective phenomenons; what anyone else hears, isn't necessarily what you'll hear.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I recently bought the audioquest sub x cable (3 m length). It made my bass tighter/better timing, more tuneful and a touch deeper. It has an earth on it if there are hum problems. I also tried the chord cobra 3 cable (1.5m length) a lot more expensive but the bass was a little fuller and deeper than the audioquest. Probably the audioquest was a touch more refined and faster than the cobra as it has a silver coating on the copper.

Cheers,

Steve.

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your input everyone, appreciate it. Leaning towards the QED at the moment, but worried that a) with it being a QED cable they are known for being a bit lean so I wouldn't get the deepest bass as that's what I want, and b) such a thin cable would also contribute to a lean sound. Can someone please put my mind at rest? Need to buy this week! Thanks B-)

Hi giggsy1977

I would highly recommend the QED sub cables as i have sold hundreds of them over the years. I have not found their sub cables to be lean at all. If you can accomodate them than the ones to consider are Performance and especially the superb Reference or fantastic Signature sub cables.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:

Hi giggsy1977

I would highly recommend the QED sub cables as i have sold hundreds of them over the years. I have not found their sub cables to be lean at all. If you can accomodate them than the ones to consider are Performance and especially the superb Reference or fantastic Signature sub cables.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick,

How much do these kinda cable really differ when compared on the same machine?

We talking subtle, or 'night and day' differences? I have the old QED Qunex P-SW and was considering the QED Reference/Chord Cobra 3 upgrade?

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Yes i use the QED Performance with my Quad-lite sub and find it fine no probs at all, at around £30 for 6mtrs, i don't think you need to spend anymore unless you can find a bargain.

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to get the QED Performance Cable. The fact that Rick has sold lots of them and other have used them without problems instills much confidence.

Shall get hunting for the best price and purchase tonight!

Just need to decide length now!

Thanks again everyone and enjoy your evening.

emotion-21.gif

Pistol Pete1:MUSICRAFT:

Hi giggsy1977

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick,

We talking subtle, or 'night and day' differences? I have the old QED Qunex P-SW and was considering the QED Reference/Chord Cobra 3 upgrade?

Hi Pistol Pete1

The QED Performance is very good however the Reference justifies the extra premium in looks/build and performance. The QED Reference sub cable is what i am presently using to connect the Yamaha DSP-Z11 to the various ATC, Dynaudio and Monitor Audio subs that i stock. It has worked/performed admirably so therefore i would say that you can buy the Reference sub cable with confidence.
emotion-1.gif

Btw, i will in due course upgrade permantely to the QED Signature sub cable. The Signature sub cable looks and sounds wicked!
emotion-2.gif
If your budget allows than go for it. Truly superb. Well done QED.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

giggsy1977:

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to get the QED Performance Cable. The fact that Rick has sold lots of them and other have used them without problems instills much confidence.

Shall get hunting for the best price and purchase tonight!

Just need to decide length now!

Thanks again everyone and enjoy your evening.

emotion-21.gif

Hi giggsy1977

Your welcome.

I truly appreciate that you are going to purchase the QED performance sub cable however if it is not too late and if within your budget than please also consider the QED Reference sub cable. The Reference sub cable justifies the premium in looks/build and performance and it is the model that i have sold most of the QED sub cables of.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:Pistol Pete1:MUSICRAFT:

Hi giggsy1977

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick,

Hi Pistol Pete1

The QED Performance is very good however the Reference justifies the extra premium in looks/build and performance. The QED Reference sub cable is what i am presently using to connect the Yamaha DSP-Z11 to the various ATC, Dynaudio and Monitor Audio subs that i stock. It has worked/performed admirably so therefore i would say that you can buy the Reference sub cable with confidence.
emotion-1.gif

Btw, i will in due course upgrade permantely to the QED Signature sub cable. The Signature sub cable looks and sounds wicked!
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks for your comments Rick, but you didn't really answer all my questions. I asked how the more expensive cables change the sound? Deeper bass, tighter bass, or what? And is the difference very obvious or subtle?

Thanks

Pete

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Just read read a review of a QED sub cable (QED Quenex MP-SW) in hifi choice and they liked it gave it 88%.

Hope Im allowed to quote from the mag the most "obvious improvement is to frequencies above the bass region" - strange. On the negative side they did say "if you want louder explosions from your high cinema - save your money". If adding "clarity is a virtue in your book then it is a worthwhile purchase".

I hope that dosent affect your decision - I personally prefer Chord but I havent tried QED sub cable only their interconnects. Chord seems to be a bit fuller in the bass in the interconnects and speaker cable ive tried.

Cheers,

Steve.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
stephennic:

Hi,

Just read read a review of a QED sub cable (QED Quenex MP-SW) in hifi choice and they liked it gave it 88%.

Hope Im allowed to quote from the mag the most "obvious improvement is to frequencies above the bass region" - strange. On the negative side they did say "if you want louder explosions from your high cinema - save your money". If adding "clarity is a virtue in your book then it is a worthwhile purchase".

I hope that dosent affect your decision - I personally prefer Chord but I havent tried QED sub cable only their interconnects. Chord seems to be a bit fuller in the bass in the interconnects and speaker cable ive tried.

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that..........heard the Chord Cobra 3 sub cable by any chance? (As your a Chord lover!!) I have many other cables from Chord (mains ones mainly), so the cobra 3 was one I was interested in too.....

Thanks....

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1, ive decided to go and order the QED Signature Subwoofer cable at £81.00 delivered, ill let you know how that sounds soon as i receive it and compare it to my current Chord Crimson. My Chord does allow some deep bass out of my sub and i cant fault it but fancied a upgrade since my other AV interconnects are of a higher quality, so fingers crossed the upgrade is a wise one!

Regards> M

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:stephennic:

Hi,

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that..........heard the Chord Cobra 3 sub cable by any chance? (As your a Chord lover!!) I have many other cables from Chord (mains ones mainly), so the cobra 3 was one I was interested in too.....

Hi,

No worries - read my first response on this forum. I put a chord cobra 3 interconnect on the sub as it is close to my amp. I only tried it for 10 minutes. The chord cobra 3 might be a bit of overkill but it certaintly had a fuller bass than the audioquest, canare sub cables. The qudioquest was the most refined but the cobra had the deepest and most solid bass. It may have being an unfair test as the qudioquest is 3m and cobra 3 1m + .5 m extension. I might compare the chord crimson with chord cobra 3 as originally i was recommended the crimson. I would be happy to use the audioquest or cobra 3 for music or movies for a subcable.

I put the sub on vibrapods and a brick on top in a sock it seem to make the bass a little more tumneful too.

Cheers,

Steve.

Thanks....

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
M, I too would be interested in your opinion. Didn't get chance to purchase earlier so keen to know your thoughts after comparison. Rick, the other qed cables are too much for me i'm afraid. Maybe as an upgrade when funds allow!

A

Anonymous

giggsy1977:M, I too would be interested in your opinion. Didn't get chance to purchase earlier so keen to know your thoughts after comparison. Rick, the other qed cables are too much for me i'm afraid. Maybe as an upgrade when funds allow!

giggsy1977 i will let you know what i think of the QED Signature 3m sub cable soon as i receive it and see if it was worth the upgrade. One way or another ill have a few cable's to get rid of on fleabay as i seem to upgrade my cables way to often.

M

Pistol Pete1:MUSICRAFT:Pistol Pete1:MUSICRAFT:

Hi giggsy1977

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick,

Hi Pistol Pete1

emotion-1.gif

emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks for your comments Rick, but you didn't really answer all my questions. I asked how the more expensive cables change the sound? Deeper bass, tighter bass, or what? And is the difference very obvious or subtle?

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pistol Pete1

Fair enough. When using the DSP-Z11 and the PLW-15 the QED Reference sub cable does offer deeper and tighter bass when compared to the performance sub cable. Likewise the Signature sub cable offers an even tighter and punchier bass when compared to the Reference sub cable (again using the DSP-Z11 and PLW-15) although the difference is not as big as is between the Reference and Performance sub cables.

As it is also involved in the overall cost the looks, build, fit, finish, packaging of the Reference sub cable compared to the Performance and the Signature sub cable compared to the Reference sub cable is improved which i believe also justifies the extra cost.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi Pistol pete 1

i upgraded from the Chord Crimson to the Qed Signature series in both subwoofer cables and Hdmi leads and the improvement was instant.

I opted for QED's flagship subwoofer cable because bass really matters in my home cinema set up and the results is optimum.

Whether you decide to go for the reference or Signature you will not go wrong with musical bass presentation.

hope this helps

giggsy1977:M, I too would be interested in your opinion. Didn't get chance to purchase earlier so keen to know your thoughts after comparison. Rick, the other qed cables are too much for me i'm afraid. Maybe as an upgrade when funds allow!

Hi giggsy1977

Fair enough. The Performance sub is still an excellent cable.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Ok guys,

If your after bargain subwoofer cable upgrades, both QED Reference and Signature cables can now be found for £28 (RRP £60) and £54 (RRP £90) respectively (3 metre lengths).......

Just ordering the Signature one..........bargain!!!!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Ok,

Ordered QED Signature 3 metre Sub cable for £48, and

QED Reference 3 metre Aerial (male to male) for £28 (RRp £55)........

Both absolute bargains!!!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts