Subwoofer - best on wooden floor or carpet

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I live in a unit with varnished wooden floors and I'm wondering if the sub would sound better with a piece of carpet under it. In another place where I use to live - it had carpeted floors the room was smaller and I think the bass was fuller. It is a front firing sub and ported underneath.

Any advice or tweaks would be helpful.

Thanks,

Steve.

A

Anonymous

Hey sorry to hijack.

I have a R370HD, Which is a down fire, would I see an improvment if I bought a granite Board, as mine is on carpet?

Thanks

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
canada16:

Hey sorry to hijack.

I have a R370HD, Which is a down fire, would I see an improvment if I bought a granite Board, as mine is on carpet?

Thanks

IMO, you almost certainly would.They are cheap enough so try one,if not give it to the cook
emotion-5.gif

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
We have a laminate floor. Tescos granite chopping board, gloss black £9.99.

My Wharfedale sub, 10" driver, downwards firing sits on one and yes it improves bass,recommended.

dtugarte

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I have an Auralex subdude hd under my downfiring sub. I know it's not the cheapest option but it made a huge improvment to my sub the bass is so much tigher and deeper now, also helps stop resonance when I turn it up.

A

Anonymous

Canada 16 (the highjacker),

I also have the MA R370HD subwoofer and recently ordered the Auralex SubDude HD. Well, I set it up today while my other half was out so I've had several hours to listen to selected Blu Rays that I've played often to have an informed decision on any noticeable difference (LoTR Fellowship: Mines of Moria; X-Men: Logan getting his truck blown up).

After some time comparing with and without the SubDude, and even performing the setup again on my AVR using the setup mic on a tripod and the SubDude in place, I can honestly say that I can hear no difference whatsoever! I can only assume that either my environment with carpet on a concrete floor is pretty good, or that the SubDude simply doesn't do that much - at least to my ears, which is what it is all about (rather than some perceived improvement based on other peoples opinion).

That's the audio side of things, but then we come to the aesthetics of the SubDude. Personally, I think the SubDude looks totally naff! For a supposed Home Design product (the 'HD' in its title), whoever designed this obviously didn't have the 'Home' part in mind or any idea of matching it to the prevailing shiny black home cinema systems that we see much of today. First off the top is black/charcoal but of a matt cloth-type material that is a total magnet for any home pets (I can visualise me forever hoovering the dogs hairs off!), but more importantly concerning the dislike of this product is the naff grey foam that forms the base of it. Apart from the foam making it look a cheap product, they could have at least made it in black; as it is the grey lump of foam going across the front looks simply awful and in no way does it fit with my nice shiny black sub.

I guess if I had noticed an improvement in sound I may have found some way to live with it or to try and improve its look somehow; although not sure how successful that would have been.

I guess you realise by now that I am totally underwhelmed by the SubDude and will be returning it for a full refund (fortunately I bought through Amazon, so I'm assuming no problem as it still looks as new).

Paul.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
pauled51 said:
After some time comparing with and without the SubDude, and even performing the setup again on my AVR using the setup mic on a tripod and the SubDude in place, I can honestly say that I can hear no difference whatsoever! I can only assume that either my environment with carpet on a concrete floor is pretty good, or that the SubDude simply doesn't do that much - at least to my ears, which is what it is all about (rather than some perceived improvement based on other peoples opinion).

I guess you realise by now that I am totally underwhelmed by the SubDude and will be returning it for a full refund (fortunately I bought through Amazon, so I'm assuming no problem as it still looks as new).

Paul.

Paul, I think you've answered your own question, as you've nothing to isolate your sub from. I would only recommend the Auralex where there is an ingrained problem, like a suspended wooden floor.

A

Anonymous

Well, there was another thread back in January this year on specifically the SubDude and I asked exactly the question if it was required being that I had a concrete floor - unfortunately no one responded with advise. So, I took the hard route and ordered it to try it out for myself.

Paul.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
pauled51 said:
Well, there was another thread back in January this year on specifically the SubDude and I asked exactly the question if it was required being that I had a concrete floor - unfortunately no one responded with advise. So, I took the hard route and ordered it to try it out for myself.

Paul.

Apologies for missing that.....it happens sometimes. :oops:

A

Anonymous

Wood Flooring

It is the best resource i found ever and it is also very much important me and for those who are aware about their life and want to be healthy and fit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts