Sub/Sat system purely for stereo - £1k

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I noticed another post about baby proof speakers and in similar situation but thought of going down the sub/sat system route, system purely for stereo music to go in lounge - 4mx4m

Looking for smallish sats - was thinking something like ma apex a10 with rel t5

Just wondering if anyone else using a sub/sat system instead of stereo speakers has any suggestions.

The sub will go behind tv unit so away from little 1s and sats ideally to be wall/ceiling mounted but not in ceiling

Dont think whf has done a high quality 2.1 systems test recently

Thanks in advance

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Im currently looking for a similar solution for another room. I think I will go with the Revel Concerta line, if those are available in your country. 2x Revel M8 satellites for wall mounting and a Revel B8 subwoofer. Revel make great subs. The M8's are already for sale, the B8 in a few weeks but I had a listen to the test model at a dealer nearby, the set matches wonderfully. 1k total.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I've used a small small sub with small speakers for years. Only gave it up when I went back to ProAcs.

Key is finding one that is fast enough. I went with sealed.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I'd definitely recommend trying before buying in a set-up like this. It's lot of dosh if you end up unhappy with it. I've got a pair of Apex A10's which I'm temporarily using for rear surround duties in a 5.1 system. (My Ruark Epilogue II's are a considerable step up and will be taking over when I get a pair of speaker stands suitable for the location). I did hook the A10's up to my Musical Fidelity stereo integrated just to test their musicality (albeit without subwoofer) and was a little disappointed. They're much better as surround speakers. Before I got my current front left/centre/right array, I used them as main left & right speakers with a sub, (running from my Pioneer AVR) but for stereo (in 2.1 guise) they weren't that great IMO, which is why I changed things around. The combo really lacked midrange, but perhaps I was expecting too much from a little speaker.

But for music they fell some distance short of Neat Iotas which were just more musically engaging even without a sub and a similar size to the Apexes. I would certainly recommend the Neats - they're excellent for music, but you might have to look around for used examples to get within budget if you want them with a sub aswell. Although the Neats can stand up pretty well in 2.0 form.

Don't get me wrong, I think the A10's are excellent speakers for what they're chiefly designed for, as style speakers in a surround system. For movies they're really great performers, but music less so IMO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts