sub positioning?

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm tempted to add a Monitor Audio RSW12 sub to my system, but current room layout would prevent me putting it between the GS10s; it would have to go to the side. I read somewhere that sub woofers can be positioned anywhere because the sound is not so directional.

Any advice on this?

Thanks

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I assume as this is in Hi-Fi you will be using the Sub for 2ch music.

If a good sub is set up properly you will not be tell where it is as the brain/ear can not tell where low frequencies come from, if the sub is crossed over too high or if it has any sort of colouration/harmonics, then the brain can pick up on the higher frequency elements of the sound, sometime harmonics in the room can also cause issues.

In my experience, between speakers is the best, front of the room is a good option but with careful placement and setup you can be OK in the rear of the room.

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I have a full GS setup for AV and use a GS SUB you can supposedly position subwoofer's anywhere. Rooms have nodes where the SUB will sound loud and at its best or you can use room correction devices such as the anti-mode 8033. You should be able to use the SUB to the left or right of your main speakers, but not in a corner as this usually reinforces the bass and will sound a bit over blown. Use a calibration CD like Alan Parsons sound check to setup the SUB and you will be able to find a nice balance.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Bass is omnidirectional to the human ear to place it where it suit you

Vance

scene

Bass may be omnidirectional, but rooms also have nodes. One trick you can use, if you've got a long enough sub cable, is to place the sub where you will be sitting (push the chair back a bit first, not on it!) and then play a test tone through it. Walk around ten edge of you room and note how the sound changes, it will sound quieter in some places and boomier in others. Now if you swap the sub for a place where it sounded boomy, it will sound boomy from your listening position, and if you place the sub in a place where it sounded quiet, its effect will be reduced. Use this to guide where to put your sub. Avoid putting it at the points where it sounds most boomy, unless you're into r&b.

A

Anonymous

Can I addrather than test tone find the bassiest dance track you have dissconnect the speakers and off you go with the bass track it will give you a truer bass image.

I write a lot of dance trance on keyboards and I found that this was the best method for gaining a true bass picture as ok its not directional but has as been said it can set up standing waves hot spots etc every room is different I also use a subdude and that really tightens up the low end.

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks all

If I put the sub where I'm thinking I will need some longish leads (from the pre-amp outputs of my amplifier). Is cable quality so important in this application as from my CD player to the amplifier? If so the cost is likely to make the idea unviable

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Kevin Stephens:
Thanks all

If I put the sub where I'm thinking I will need some longish leads (from the pre-amp outputs of my amplifier). Is cable quality so important in this application as from my CD player to the amplifier? If so the cost is likely to make the idea unviable

I wouldn't worry about cable quality for subs too much, just get the cheapest and you'll be fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts