Sub or subless??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I am finally getting into the home cinema thing. I've ordered a Denon AVR-2310 which will be connected to my existing Dali Ikon 6's in front, a Dali Ikon Vokal 1 (which I managed to get at a bargain) as center and two older philips speakers as rears. So I am 5.0 now.

Looking at the subs I was wondering if it's worth the money to get a sub and would you go for the full package e.g. an active sub like the Dali Ikon Sub or someting a little bit simpler/cheaper e.g. passive sub/ kit a few steps down the price ladder. I am going to use this set up mainly for music, either CD or radio and some home cinema once in a while (maybe twice a month).

So what I am asking is: Would you spend the money on the sub and if you where to spends some cash in what range would you be looking for.

BTW: If you do not connect the sub, what happens to the 5.1 sub signal? The Denon manual is not very clear about that. Suppose the signal will go to the 2 fronts who will handle the bass part. Is that correct?

Any and all opinions are welcome.

Cheers, James

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The .1 subwofer channel will be sent to the front pair, although most hi-fi speakers don't really have much useable low frequency output below 40/50Hz, which will vary depending on he speakers used. No hi-fi speaker will produce what a sub can - a subwoofer is designed to reach the frequencies hi-fi speakers just can't.

So it's definitely recommended that you get a sub at some point - it adds a whole new dimension to your home cinema system.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Frank for the comments.

As a home cinema newbie, what would I be looking/listening for when auditioning a sub, also in relation to the combo I have?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Ermmm, DAVID!!
emotion-1.gif

With subs it's just down to how low you want them to go and how powerful you want it to be - but the more you want, the higher the price! It's physical size and looks may play a part.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts