Sub for my hi-fi or save up for a speaker upgrade?

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Dear all,

I'm once again contemplating what to do with the Mezzos. My amplifier does a good job of driving them but the Mezzos are not the most bassy speakers which I need when I'm listening to the occasional electro. As some of you know I'm slowly saving for some 3000 pound Audio Notes. However, it'll be atleast 3 years before I can justify that sort of outlay. I'm willing to spend about 800 pounds on a musical subwoofer. The most obvious one is the Mezzo 9 but I've heard its not the most musical sub and I would rather get a sub thats good with any speaker. Can you please recommend me a sub to go with the Mezzos?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I have been using a subwoofer for 2ch for some time. To me, in many ways, its an ideal solution. It allows the best aspects of standmounts (other than ultimate power handling) such as imaging and tight sound whilst giving adjustability and flexibility which you may not have by using a large speaker cabinet which can have their own problems.

Can't really help with which one to buy as mine is not made anymore but it is probably fair to say that huge power ratings dont necesseraly make a good musical subwoofter. Mine is sealed which probably makes it less efficient but the flip side is its nicely tight, fast and integrates well. I have used it with floorstanders to good effect too.

regards

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
I have been using a subwoofer for 2ch for some time. To me, in many ways, its an ideal solution. It allows the best aspects of standmounts (other than ultimate power handling) such as imaging and tight sound whilst giving adjustability and flexibility which you may not have by using a large speaker cabinet which can have their own problems.

Can't really help with which one to buy as mine is not made anymore but it is probably fair to say that huge power ratings dont necesseraly make a good musical subwoofter. Mine is sealed which probably makes it less efficient but the flip side is its nicely tight, fast and integrates well.

regards

This is pretty much my experience too. I can't recommend a sub because mine isn't available outside of Japan, but it was a very cheap sealed sub made for music.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people have a high regard for BK Electronics and they certainly have plenty of mag reviews. Direct sales ensure that you wouldn't spend all your money but get big performance.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Mornin' there!

This depends.

- How long will it be till you get the ANs

- If you get the sub, how much longer will it add to this time

- How much do you really miss the extra bass

- Are you prepared to compromise with a cheap sub (or it'll take too much of your speaker budget)

- Realize that it takes time and care to get seamless integration

The bigger AN speakers, because of the way they work using the hole room as "part of the speaker", give remarkable bass...and certainly the ones I heard appeared to go lower than my Kefs. This means that a sub "should" not be necessary once you get them.

If you really feel it will be some time before you them and miss the scale, I would look at getting a small, economical sealed sub like the Gemini, or perhaps the XLS 200: http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/sub_woofers.htm

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Sub all the way.

I urge you to try the PV1D. Not heard it myself, but I do have a PV1 and if there are any audible improvements at all over the PV1, which I can't find fault with, the PV1D has gotta be a contender and worth pushing your budget for. Failing that, you may be able to get a PV1 off eBay for a tidy saving.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I would without doubt put all the money towards speakers, that is not to say you cannot get good results with a sub in two channel but have suitable speakers is almost always the preference.

When suitably paired, well intergrated together and well set up in the room a pair of smaller speakers plus a sub can work wonders but it can also be very hard to get right. If it were a simple yes or no, choose one option scenerio simply getting the most suitable speakers is the wise move, no messing with x-overs and all the other issues that can come with trying to set them up together.

That said if you do want to investigate subs have a look at the BK range because for the value and qulaity they give you can almost try them out of curiousity, not only that but although they might not advertise the fact but because of distance selling laws you can always send it back for a refund. I own a BK XXLS400 and it is spot on, I used it for AV but also sometimes music too, I often turn it off depending on the genre. I crank it up a bit for films and the LFE for music I set it very low for a subtle underpinning of the bass. If you do want a sub look no furhter than BK.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:

Can't really help with which one to buy as mine is not made anymore but it is probably fair to say that huge power ratings dont necesseraly make a good musical subwoofter. Mine is sealed which probably makes it less efficient but the flip side is its nicely tight, fast and integrates well. I have used it with floorstanders to good effect too.

regards
we are thinking along the same lines about the benefits of a sub then. I would prefer a sealed box too but they seem to be rarer nowadays. Just curious, what sub do you have?

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Mornin' there!

This depends.

- How long will it be till you get the ANs

- If you get the sub, how much longer will it add to this time

- How much do you really miss the extra bass

- Are you prepared to compromise with a cheap sub (or it'll take too much of your speaker budget)

- Realize that it takes time and care to get seamless integration

The bigger AN speakers, because of the way they work using the hole room as "part of the speaker", give remarkable bass...and certainly the ones I heard appeared to go lower than my Kefs. This means that a sub "should" not be necessary once you get them.

If you really feel it will be some time before you them and miss the scale, I would look at getting a small, economical sealed sub like the Gemini, or perhaps the XLS 200: http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/sub_woofers.htm
Morning to you Cno, as I said it'll be atleast a good 3 years before I get the AN's. If I get a sub then it'll maybe delay the speaker purchase for another 6 months but atleast I won't go insane. To be honest I don't miss the extra bass that much when listening to jazz but only the occasional electro, but I want a setup thats good for all my music. I think I can live with a cheap sub, I think you know that I'm quite handy with placing things (mainly rubber, spikes and foam) so I think I can make the most out of a cheap sub....besides I won't be turning up the sub to huge levels so I'm actually looking for a fast sub which adds just a few ounces of extra punch than a sub in a boy racer's car. Never heard of bkelec before, have you had any encounters with them?

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Big Chris said:
Sub all the way.

I urge you to try the PV1D. Not heard it myself, but I do have a PV1 and if there are any audible improvements at all over the PV1, which I can't find fault with, the PV1D has gotta be a contender and worth pushing your budget for. Failing that, you may be able to get a PV1 off eBay for a tidy saving.
The PV1 is the sort of thing I had in mind but it is eye wateringly expensive...I'm looking at something around 400 pounds to be honest.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
shafesk said:
Big Chris said:
Sub all the way.

The PV1 is the sort of thing I had in mind but it is eye wateringly expensive...I'm looking at something around 400 pounds to be honest.

I'm thinkin of getting a second hand PV1 when I have some cash.. They go for around £500 second hand.. As previously said a BK XLS200 would be fine and get raving reviews as musical subs and they're like £320ish new and would sell second hand in no time at minimal loss...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shafesk said:
Morning to you Cno, as I said it'll be atleast a good 3 years before I get the AN's.

If I get a sub then it'll maybe delay the speaker purchase for another 6 months but atleast I won't go insane. To be honest I don't miss the extra bass that much when listening to jazz but only the occasional electro, but I want a setup thats good for all my music. I think I can live with a cheap sub,

I think you know that I'm quite handy with placing things (mainly rubber, spikes and foam) so I think I can make the most out of a cheap sub....besides I won't be turning up the sub to huge levels so I'm actually looking for a fast sub which adds just a few ounces of extra punch than a sub in a boy racer's car.

Never heard of bkelec before, have you had any encounters with them?

I had a friend who had one for a while, and I don't think it can be beaten for the money. There are also a lot of forum members who have them, as well as a fist full of good reviews.....in fact I don't think I've seen a bad review. They also make drive units for other companies as well, or certainly used to.

The other good vfm brand is MJ Acoustics (like the Pro 50) as mentioned above....but over here they are a bit more expensive: http://www.mjacoustics.co.uk/

Which ever brand you chose, just go up the chain until you reach what you are prepared to spend.....just avoid ported ones as imo they are not as good for music.

If you want to up the anti, look at the Velodyne SPL Ultra/Impact/EQ-Max ranges / MicroVee; PV1 (D) or Paradigm Seismic 110

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
My Mezzo sub is great. Musical?? Not sure how they can ever be that? It has an eq too - together with some modest room treatment (see my threads) seems to work wonders with the right source.

cheers

A

Anonymous

I had a B&W sub once ( ASW 608 )

Great little thing.

Bass was tight and agile.

I would say it all depends on the size of room you have.

If you want it purely to improve music then my suggestion would be to up your budget a bit and actually get 2 subs.

There is a reason for this. To improve a stereo system i have found 2 small subs are much better in a small to medium sized room than one big sub.

Place these small subs right next to your existing speakers. The set-up is obviously more awkward but the end result is much better.

The subs I suggest you look at are REL Acoustics T Zero's (made here in sunny Wales).

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Sub, sub, sub all the way! You'll be surprised at the difference it will make to the whole sound of your system. And you don't have to spend anywhere near your £800 budget, either (which is always nice, especially as this is just an interim measure for you, until you get your new speakers). Go down the second-hand route and you can get yourself a great sub for £200. Have a look at REL Strata, for a start. They are one of Rel's range that are for hifi, primarily, and they are brilliant.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bretty said:
Have a look at REL Strata, for a start. They are one of Rel's range that are for hifi, primarily, and they are brilliant.

I always liked the old Rel range like the Stampede, Strata 5 (better than previous versions) and Storm 5 (I think the previous models were ported) .

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Theres a strata 5 on ebay, right now in immaculate condition. They want £400, but they wont get that. I'd say keep an eye on it, chuck in a bid in the last minute and you could get it for £250. Collection only though, which could be a bummer.

TRENDING THREADS