Streaming Music

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Well the airport express is purchased and all my cd's are now ripped in lossless. The sound is good, not far of what i get from my cd player. Thanks to all for your help. One thing i cant understand is why apple lossless saves a file smaller than the actual cd is. Any ideas?

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Well the airport express is purchased and all my cd's are now ripped in lossless. The sound is good, not far of what i get from my cd player. Thanks to all for your help. One thing i cant understand is why apple lossless saves a file smaller than the actual cd is. Any ideas?

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
shep1968 said:

Apple lossless, like FLAC is compressed lossless and so files are smaller than the uncompressed WAV or AIFF the 16/44 file that were put on the disc

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Does this mean i would have got better sound quality if i had saved them as wave files or aiff or would it simply have taken up more room? Would a wav file be streamable through an airport express??

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
shep1968 said:
Does this mean i would have got better sound quality if i had saved them as wave files or aiff
No

shep1968 said:
or would it simply have taken up more room?
Yes. Lossles is lossless. Think of Apple Lossless and FLAC as being like ZIP files for your computer programs and data, or TIFF image files for your photos. Nothing is lost in the process.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts