Streaming Music

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Doah!! Always seem to have problems posting new messages onto this forum, dont know why. I have a Rotel RA-05 and a Marantz CD6003 cd player going into B&W 685 speakers and would like to be able to wirelessly stream music from my iphone into it. What will i need to attach to the amp for this to work? I have no interest in streaming from my laptop or PC.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Had a quick look. This will bypass my amp and go straight into my speakers by the look of it. Problem is that my speakers are still attached to my amp. Would i have to unplug them every time i wanted to stream music? Any idea what the sound quality would be like?

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Can I ask why you have no interest in streaming from your PC? If you connect your PC via a DAC to your amp then you can use your phone as a remote which will give you almost the same user experience as streaming from the phone, but with access to all of your music.

If you go down the airport express route, consider whether the internal DAC will do the rest of your set up justice.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Jame5 said:
Can I ask why you have no interest in streaming from your PC? If you connect your PC via a DAC to your amp then you can use your phone as a remote which will give you almost the same user experience as streaming from the phone, but with access to all of your music.

If you go down the airport express route, consider whether the internal DAC will do the rest of your set up justice.

My PC is nowhere near my amp and i have no inbuilt wireless on the PC. Will the airport express sound reasonable or am i better simply getting my cd's out and listening to them that way? I heard a friends iphone streaming to a B&W Zeppelin and that sounded really good i simply wanted to replicate that.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
For the money, the Airport Express sounds pretty good (in my opinion). You can obviously improve it with an external DAC later on if you choose to.

If you're using iTunes on your PC and it's connected to your wireless network, you'll also be able to stream music from it to your amp using the Airport Express. You can control this from your iPhone using the Remote app. Or you can just stream direct from your iPhone - choice is yours.

EDIT - Sorry, just re-read your post and saw your PC didn't have a wireless connection. However, as long as the PC is connected to the same network as the Airport Express (although obviously via a wired connection), you could stream from your PC this way.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
professorhat said:
For the money, the Airport Express sounds pretty good (in my opinion). You can obviously improve it with an external DAC later on if you choose to.

If you're using iTunes on your PC and it's connected to your wireless network, you'll also be able to stream music from it to your amp using the Airport Express. You can control this from your iPhone using the Remote app. Or you can just stream direct from your iPhone - choice is yours.

EDIT - Sorry, just re-read your post and saw your PC didn't have a wireless connection. However, as long as the PC is connected to the same network as the Airport Express (although obviously via a wired connection), you could stream from your PC this way.
The PC is wired into the same network as the Airport Express is. If i want to go for better sound and use a separate DAC presumable i would put it between the AE and the amp and have a different output coming from the AE. All the music i would want it on my iphone and it would seem to be easier to stream from there. I'm not an expert in computing and electronics and would like to keep things as simple as possible.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
shep1968 said:
If i want to go for better sound and use a separate DAC presumable i would put it between the AE and the amp and have a different output coming from the AE.

Yes - the output on the AE doubles as both a 3.5mm analogue output and a Mini TOSlink digital optical output. To use it with a DAC, you'd just need one of these connected to a standard optical cable. This plugs into the AE and the standard optical connections plugs into the DAC. The DAC then connects into your amp via standard RCA phono leads.

Juzzie Wuzzie

Airport Express, or if your amplifier accepts optical (or you're prepared to invest in a DAC) I'd recommend spending £20 more for the Apple TV - given the increased functionality.

But basic 101 streaming from iPhone, I think the Airport Express is unbeatable.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
shep1968 said:
drummerman said:
Or you can try one of these

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/wireless-speaker-adapter

I got one sitting in front of me but haven't tried it yet.

I'll post in a day or two.

regards

This would also be an interesting option but would the iphone output to it? I* seem to remember it not being able to do the same kind of file sharing as opther devices.

File sharing lol?

Nop, just a simple plug n'play bluetooth streamer.

regards

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
professorhat said:
shep1968 said:
If i want to go for better sound and use a separate DAC presumable i would put it between the AE and the amp and have a different output coming from the AE.

Yes - the output on the AE doubles as both a 3.5mm analogue output and a Mini TOSlink digital optical output. To use it with a DAC, you'd just need one of these connected to a standard optical cable. This plugs into the AE and the standard optical connections plugs into the DAC. The DAC then connects into your amp via standard RCA phono leads.

My amp doesnt seem to have an internal DAC and also no optical connection. Suspect that i might try the AE and go for an external DAC if the sound quality isnt as good as i like. I burn all my cds as 256 kbps and have no downloads from itunes. Is the sound quality going to be significantly down on what i get from a cd or what i get if i simply plug my iphone into the amp itself?

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
professorhat said:
shep1968 said:

My amp doesnt seem to have an internal DAC and also no optical connection. Suspect that i might try the AE and go for an external DAC if the sound quality isnt as good as i like. I burn all my cds as 256 kbps and have no downloads from itunes. Is the sound quality going to be significantly down on what i get from a cd or what i get if i simply plug my iphone into the amp itself?

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
professorhat said:
shep1968 said:

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I guess it makes sense if you are an apple user.

Personally, I think the brand is the spawn of the devil or some secret government mind control device and sends out subliminal messaging, such as ... buy the latest me ... now ... even if you only had the previous me for a month. Cue even if its for days and you freeze your gonads off whilst doing so. It also tends to make you post the same thing three times ... and has been known to make grown up men behave child like, unusually stubborn and irrational. I'm not talking about Ashley by the way.

regards

A

Anonymous

drummerman said:
I guess it makes sense if you are an apple user.

Personally, I think the brand is the spawn of the devil or some secret government mind control device and sends out subliminal messaging, such as ... buy the latest me ... now ... even if you only had the previous me for a month. Cue even if its for days and you freeze your gonads off whilst doing so. It also tends to make you post the same thing three times ... and has been known to make grown up men behave child like, unusually stubborn and irrational. I'm not talking about Ashley by the way.

regards

Best thing Ive read all week!!
smiley-sealed.gif

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
shep1968 said:
professorhat said:
shep1968 said:

Thanks for all your help on this. I have my AE and am streaming not only from my iphone but also from itunes on my wired computer, something they told me couldnt be done at the apple shop!! All i need to do now is to reburn all my cd's in lossless onto an external drive for better sound quality. Not sure how i do all i want to but suspect that is for a different forum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts