• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Streaming HD files from Tidal

RBinDC

Aug 21, 2020
I have been streaming music from Tidal and it sounds great on my LS-50 speakers driven by a modest Yamaha AVR (100 watts per channel).

Question: how do I know if the album I am playing is in high definition format? I see nothing on Tidal indicating this.

Tidal has two versions of Brubeck’s “Take Five” album, one labeled “Legacy Edition” (which I bought in vinyl 40 years ago) and the other with no such label and a slightly different color scheme on the jacket. When I do an A-B comparison the music on the Legacy Edition is less clear and less defined than the music on the other album. I assume that there is a difference in the file formats but how can I confirm this?

Help!

Niallivm

Oct 28, 2019
Qobuz* clearly indicates whether an album is in Hi Res or not.

Do you mean the Brubeck album "Time Out", the one opening with Blue Rondo a la Turk? If so, both the 16 track "Legacy Edition" of Brubeck's "Time Out" and the normal 8 track release are only in 16bit, 44.1 kHz (CD quality) rather than High Res. In fact, aside from a live album all of Brubeck's back catalogue on Qobuz is only in CD resolution, which is unusual for a jazz great.
Any difference you may be noticing is probably down to the fact that the Legacy Edition is a 2009 remastering, whereas the other release is most likely a simpler digital transfer of the 1959 original. Great album, btw!

Screenshot 2020-10-23 at 14.52.12.png

*I'd recommend Qobuz over Tidal for jazz fans, but that's not what you're asking.

RBinDC

Aug 21, 2020
Thanks for the useful response.

Yes, that’s the album I referred to. At 16/44.1 it still sounds good but, for some reason, the competing album on Tidal sounds slightly better. Not a huge difference but a bit more detailed.

I wonder why there are two versions of this album with one having a slightly different color ( colour?) scheme on the jacket. This has to be a remastered version.

I will try out Qobuz.

Reactions: Niallivm

Niallivm

Oct 28, 2019
Thanks for the useful response.

Yes, that’s the album I referred to. At 16/44.1 it still sounds good but, for some reason, the competing album on Tidal sounds slightly better. Not a huge difference but a bit more detailed.

I wonder why there are two versions of this album with one having a slightly different color ( colour?) scheme on the jacket. This has to be a remastered version.

I will try out Qobuz.
On Qobuz the Legacy Edition’s cover is brighter with the orange and red type more vibrant

nopiano

Feb 15, 2009
There have been dozens of Take Five versions over the years. I read somewhere not just remasters and live recordings, but more than one ‘original’.

What app are you using to stream Tidal? Usually they display the bit rate etc.

SteveR750

Mar 11, 2005
Tidal "hifi" tracks are in cda quality, "master" are 24/96 res. Each track has axn indication next to its listing.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS