streaming and playback for beginner

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I have just been advised that in order to stream music from the internet or to play music from a remote computer (our music is mostly stored on an imac or a harddrive) I need a device called a sonos zp9 (or similar) and possibly a bridge.

The way it was explained was a follows. The bridge connects to your router which is connected to your computers and the sonos connects to one of the inputs in your hifi.

I have a CD player (Marantz SA-KI-Pearl -Lite) which I believe the sonos would connect into for this purpose.

I can then use the sonos to access the computer and then use an iphone as a user interface for these devices and simply view music listings and play them.

Is anyone aware of connection diagrams or where I can see these devices at work?

Does anyone have any experience of a set up like this?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
outtahere said:
I have just been advised that in order to stream music from the internet or to play music from a remote computer (our music is mostly stored on an imac or a harddrive) I need a device called a sonos zp9 (or similar) and possibly a bridge.

For Sonos you only need the bridge if you can't wire the ZP90 directly to the router, if you can you don't need the bridge.

The way it was explained was a follows. The bridge connects to your router which is connected to your computers and the sonos connects to one of the inputs in your hifi.

I have a CD player (Marantz SA-KI-Pearl -Lite) which I believe the sonos would connect into for this purpose.

Erm, well that's not an amp, it's an SACD player but you could connect the ZP90 to it using a digital cable (optical or coaxial) and use the Marantz as a DAC (I believe the Marantz allows this). One assumes you also have an amp that the Marantz is connected to?

I can then use the sonos to access the computer and then use an iphone as a user interface for these devices and simply view music listings and play them.

Is anyone aware of connection diagrams or where I can see these devices at work?

Richer Sounds have them on display or any decent hi-fi dealer will be able to demonstrate it for you, without knowing where you it's impossible to recommend anyone.

Does anyone have any experience of a set up like this?

Several million people I expect, it's a pretty common setup these days, there's nothing particularly arcane about it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Richer Sounds have them on display or any decent hi-fi dealer will be able to demonstrate it for you, without knowing where you it's impossible to recommend anyone.

The_Lhc said:
Several million people I expect, it's a pretty common setup these days, there's nothing particularly arcane about it.

Ah, going for the friendly, welcoming approach, then...? :doh:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
The_Lhc said:

The_Lhc said:

Ah, going for the friendly, welcoming approach, then...? :doh:

No, in the first instance I was aiming for "I'm typing faster than I can think" in the second it was "This setup is so common there's nothing to be afraid of/worry about". Apparently I missed that one.

Anyway, I don't do welcoming flim-flammery, you know that. On that note, hello to Jason Isaacs...

A

Anonymous

thanks. I guess the last question was redundant really. There is a Richer sounds in Cambridge not too far from me. My problem with retail advice is that they may only stock and really know one brand and not be able to give objective comparison. I do have a Marantz amp but the guy at the shop told me to connect sonos to that rather than amp. See what I mean? Is there a place I can see a review of other similar kit?

A

Anonymous

for any other beginners there are some helpful tips on this website

It got me thinking about using the mains wiring as an alternative to wireless as we have poor broadband in our village. If there are other links on this forum I would appreciate a heads up on where it is.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/features/focus/listening-wirelessly

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts