Streamer with MP3 file storage/ability to connect external storage

timjsparrow

Oct 22, 2024
Visit site
Hi, new to this forum, and digital music to a certain extent, but figured it would be a good place to start.

I'm looking to replace my ageing iPod classic, which is connected to my hi-fi and essentially acts as my digital file player. However, I would also like something that streams internet radio and the various streaming services.

The streamer I'm looking for would ideally need to do the following :

- Store internally over 160gb worth of digital music files, or have the ability to play files from and external hard drive.
- Be able to play internet radio and stream the usual streaming services, particularly Apple Music.
- Be able to Bluetooth to other music devices in the house
- Play the TV through the hi-fi
- An inbuilt screen would be nice, but the ability to easily put "now playing" and album artwork on the TV screen would be a must.

I have been looking at the WiiM Ultra, but not sure if this meets all my requirements or does more than I need? It wouldn't be my stand alone player as I already have an amp.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Gray

I have been looking at the WiiM Ultra, but not sure if this meets all my requirements
It does some, but not all of what you want Tim.
I don't think it streams Apple music.
It also won't display to a TV screen*. Its HDMI socket is a sound input. Wiim are making regular feature upgrades with firmware updates and some owners have hoped for the external display feature - but I doubt that will be possible.

It does cover all your other requirements, some of which match my own (which is probably why I'll be getting one myself before too much longer).

* Darko might have a workaround you can use though:
View: https://youtu.be/wug24FM9NRw?t=822

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS