Question: Soundbar vs AVR - advice for a small room

Pokus

Oct 22, 2024
Visit site
Hello,

I would appreciate some views about my (nice) problem to have...

I do have a small room , with a small TV (likely 10 years old), which is still using the built in speakers. not sure about the exact dimensions of the room, but it is small, likely 2,5m by 2,5m (educate guess).
I am about to replace the TV with something new and want to build some "better/proper" sound setup to go along.

the primary use will be to watch netflix/amazon/disney/etc. but it will also be used to listen some music (sometimes youtube music, sometimes tidal).

I am wondering what would be the best option on this case. I was thinking on something like a 5.1 wharfedele system (either a DX-3 or a Diamond 12.1) with likely a Denon AVR to match the speakers, or alternatively a Sonos Arc sound bar.

I am pretty sure that any of the above will be much better than a 10 years old TV with built in speakers, but I am not sure if the Diamond 12.1 would be an overkill for such small room? if it is, would the next best option be the DX-3 or the soundbar?

Would be keen to listen to people views/experiences.

cheers!

Messiah

I have yet to hear a soundbar that can replicate what a 'true' surround set-up can achieve.

Have you heard a (let's call it) proper surround set-up?

Whilst I'm sure the Arc is fine I think the Denon/Wharefdale combo will be far better.

I would not be too concerned a out the size of the room as the auto-set up will take care of that. I have used surround in similar (and smaller) spaces and it still sounds great.

TRENDING THREADS