Streamer or DAC for used with iPhone?

Burt25

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site
I would like to add the ability to access online music to my system and don’t mind having my iPhone 15 connected by cable. Would I be better looking at a DAC and connecting the iPhone to it? Would this provide better quality than something like a Wiim Pro Plus?

Burt25

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site
Assuming your phone and the Wiim were compared via the same external DAC, you probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart - in terms of their sound.

In other words, the DAC makes the real difference (given the same bit-perfect input).
I’m thinking the DAC Is the way to go as I have a means of streaming in the phone. What could I buy for the price of a Wiim Pro that would give me better quality? Im also willing to go used

Gray

I’m thinking the DAC Is the way to go as I have a means of streaming in the phone. What could I buy for the price of a Wiim Pro that would give me better quality? Im also willing to go used
Don't forget that you can use an external DAC with the Wiim (which is what many do).

Then it would depend whether your phone would be a better streaming interface than the Wiim.

(You'd still use your phone, using the Wiim app, to control it wirelessly).

To answer your question Burt: only you can decide whether you'd get better quality from your phone and DAC compared with analogue out of the Wiim.
But, based on what others have said about Wiim analogue outputs....it would seem likely that you could.

Last edited:

Fandango Andy

I would like to add the ability to access online music to my system and don’t mind having my iPhone 15 connected by cable. Would I be better looking at a DAC and connecting the iPhone to it? Would this provide better quality than something like a Wiim Pro Plus?
Probably nothing to choose between a WiiM and an IPhone as a streamer, it will probably come down to the DAC.

I would go for a WiiM, for the convenience of not having toeave your phone plugged in. In fact, I did go for a WiiM mini that I use with an SMSL SU-1 DAC. Purchased before the Pro and Pro Plus came out.

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

Witterings

But, based on what others have said about Wiim analogue outputs....it would seem likely that you could.

That kind of depends whether you've the Pro or ProPlus .... I recently got a Plus and plugged the analogue out into my amp so it's using the Plus's DAC and done back to backs with that against:

1/. Pro analogue out into amp using the Pros DAC
2/. Pro optical / coax out into a Topping E30 into amp
3/. Pro Optical out into my Arcam SA30 using it's onboard DAC.

There's a big difference between all of them except the last where I can't tell the difference, all the other scenarios are "thinner" and more distorted, the worst being using the Pros onboard DAC.

I don't think the OP can get any better quality than using a WiiM ProPlus, taking the music directly off the providers servers instead of to his phone, cable from phone to DAC .... you're just be introducing other things into the chain that may cause degredation ... unless the DAC he chooses has a "preferred flavour" than the Plus's DAC.

Reactions: Gray

Juzzie Wuzzie

Even on a cost / benefit analysis, I think a WiiM Mini is cheaper than a (half) decent DAC for the iPhone (thinking Audioquest Dragonfly). WiiM Mini is the best bet if the OP's amplifier has digital inputs.

That said @Burt25 could go for a c.£10 USBC to RCAs cable off of Amazon and see if that floats the boat.

Arguably, a lot depends on the systems into which said source is plugged.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
That kind of depends whether you've the Pro or ProPlus .... I recently got a Plus and plugged the analogue out into my amp so it's using the Plus's DAC and done back to backs with that against:

1/. Pro analogue out into amp using the Pros DAC
2/. Pro optical / coax out into a Topping E30 into amp
3/. Pro Optical out into my Arcam SA30 using it's onboard DAC.

There's a big difference between all of them except the last where I can't tell the difference, all the other scenarios are "thinner" and more distorted, the worst being using the Pros onboard DAC.

I don't think the OP can get any better quality than using a WiiM ProPlus, taking the music directly off the providers servers instead of to his phone, cable from phone to DAC .... you're just be introducing other things into the chain that may cause degredation ... unless the DAC he chooses has a "preferred flavour" than the Plus's DAC.
I’m confused what was the best outcome, was there a big jump between 2 and 3.

Witterings

I’m confused what was the best outcome, was there a big jump between 2 and 3.

Yes sorry reading it back it wasn't that clear, to do all of the comparisons I was using both a Pro and a ProPlus set up to play multiroom as a group and using different inputs on the amp so I could just use the remote to switch between them without any break in the music.

In summary the ProPlus DAC (with anaologue into the Awmp) was juas good as using the Optical out on the Pro to use the Arcam's DAC.
The internal DAC on the Pro using analogue out was the worst performer and I was surprised there was still quite a difference between using the Pro Optical out to the Topping E30 DAC to the Amp which wasn't as good as either the Arcam's DAC or the ProPlus's.

Hopefully that's clearer?

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes sorry reading it back it wasn't that clear, to do all of the comparisons I was using both a Pro and a ProPlus set up to play multiroom as a group and using different inputs on the amp so I could just use the remote to switch between them without any break in the music.

In summary the ProPlus DAC (with anaologue into the Awmp) was juas good as using the Optical out on the Pro to use the Arcam's DAC.
The internal DAC on the Pro using analogue out was the worst performer and I was surprised there was still quite a difference between using the Pro Optical out to the Topping E30 DAC to the Amp which wasn't as good as either the Arcam's DAC or the ProPlus's.

Hopefully that's clearer?
Hi, I think so .....

I currently use the Wiim mini to a topping E30 to an Amp via optical..Do you think the ProPlus straight to amp via analogue would be an improvement?

Witterings

Hi, I think so .....

I currently use the Wiim mini to a topping E30 to an Amp via optical..Do you think the ProPlus straight to amp via analogue would be an improvement?

That'll totally depend on what Amp you have and the quality of the DAC in it, the Arcam I have is known to have a decent DAC.

Also the difference between me using a WiiM optical out the Arcam's DAC or to my E30, whilst it was there it wasn't huge so yes maybe but not a game changer for sure.

The weak link is the DAC in the Pro and I'd imagine the Mini as well but optical out of either into any half decent DAC is a big step up and the sound will then becme more dependant on the quality of the DAC you're using.

Reactions: Gonepostal

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
That'll totally depend on what Amp you have and the quality of the DAC in it, the Arcam I have is known to have a decent DAC.

Also the difference between me using a WiiM optical out the Arcam's DAC or to my E30, whilst it was there it wasn't huge so yes maybe but not a game changer for sure.

The weak link is the DAC in the Pro and I'd imagine the Mini as well but optical out of either into any half decent DAC is a big step up and the sound will then becme more dependant on the quality of the DAC you're using.
My mistake, I meant to say I'm using the DAC in the topping as my amp doesn't have one.

Witterings

My mistake, I meant to say I'm using the DAC in the topping as my amp doesn't have one.

To answer your question directly, from my experience there will be "some" improvement but not huge ... If I were you I'd order one from Amazon and compare yourself, if you don't feel it's worth it return it, if you do you can sell your Mini and the E30.

Fandango Andy

Hi, I think so .....

Probably not worth the expense. The weak link in the WiiM is the DAC, while I understand the DAC is better in the ProPlus, it probably isn't as good as your Topping. While there probably are improvements, they probably won't be noticeable. The real reason for choosing the ProPlus is the extra inputs and outputs if you need them.

Witterings

while I understand the DAC is better in the ProPlus, it probably isn't as good as your Topping.

That wasn't my finding with the back to back, I the DAC in the ProPlus is better than the E30 ... if I were buying tomorrow and had the option of a mini and an E30 OR a ProPlus .... no contest ... is it worth extra cost to change, that's down to the individual and what it'll cost them but there is a benefit.

Fandango Andy

That wasn't my finding with the back to back, I the DAC in the ProPlus is better than the E30 ... if I were buying tomorrow and had the option of a mini and an E30 OR a ProPlus .... no contest ... is it worth extra cost to change, that's down to the individual and what it'll cost them but there is a benefit.
I haven't heard the ProPlus or the E30 so was going by reputation. I what way did they differ?

Backenst

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
@Burt25 If you want a good integrated amp that has dedicated inputs for your iPhone, you should check out Peachtree. I have had both the Nova150 and now the Carina 150. They both have dedicated inputs for your iPhone or IPad. In the case of the Carina150 the DAC includes two ESS Sabre 9068 super chipset for outstanding audio performance. its a USB C input and cleans up all the noise coming out of the phone and then you have bit perfect audio. This DAC is better than the topping e30 or even the Topping Pro of which I had both.

TRENDING THREADS