Stirling LS3/5a version 2 VS. Harbeth HL-P3ES-2 VS. Spendor S3/5R2/SA1/D1

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I used Rogers LS3/5a extensively. A fine speaker, but not really a 'bookshelf speaker'.

The LS3/5a was designed and optimised as a small studio nearfield monitoring loudspeaker. it was originally used in O/B vans but did find its way into some of the smaller studios and research and engineering labs as a general purpose desktop monitoring speaker - usually mounted on a Quad amp.

My experience of using LS3/5a in a normal room (not nearfield) environment is that they sound a bit flat and unexciting. I have some Neat Petites that are not much bigger that sound a lot more fun. I guess it very much comes down to personal choice.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
andyjm said:
I used Rogers LS3/5a extensively. A fine speaker, but not really a 'bookshelf speaker'.

The LS3/5a was designed and optimised as a small studio nearfield monitoring loudspeaker. it was originally used in O/B vans but did find its way into some of the smaller studios and research and engineering labs as a general purpose desktop monitoring speaker - usually mounted on a Quad amp.

My experience of using LS3/5a in a normal room (not nearfield) environment is that they sound a bit flat and unexciting. I have some Neat Petites that are not much bigger that sound a lot more fun. I guess it very much comes down to personal choice.

Concur.

The Stirling speakers have to meet the LS3/5A spec to be licensed so will be as described above. The small Harbeth and Spendor models take a lot from the LS3/5A but do not have to meet the spec so can be a bit more enthusiastic, a bit easier to drive and as Andyjm says, more fun.

Unless you really need LS3/5A, for quality assesment or continuity purposes there are probably better performing options.

TRENDING THREADS