Stick or twist: Arcam A38?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Anyway, not too sure why I'm even contemplating... the Leema is a stunning machine. Can't see the Arcam blowing the Pulse out of the water, nonetheless, I'll still have a weekend dabble.
I don't think its a case of one blowing the other out of the water pp .I chose the db1is over the kef ls50 .the kefs are technically better speakers.But when hearing the Db1is with Arcam amp the combination sounded better than the kefs on any other pairing that included kef ls50 Cyrus,kef ls50 Arcam ,kef ls50 audiolab 8200cdq and power amp. Arcam and pmc something special happened.Thats just my opinion though not fact ,before anyone else jumps all over me.

LowFeller

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi PP
A few thoughts occur:

FWIW, I demo-ed the Leema and both the A32 and A38 Arcams
with PMC's GB1i speakers.
All 3 are great amps and the synergy all have with PMC is excellent.
To my ears the Leema shaded it most of the time but I preferred the Arcam's big open soundstage.
(I say that as someone who is not a bass head but who likes to hear what the bass is doing).
As has already been said, it would probably be a sideways move - different, but not necessarily an improvement.
But you know that!!

However, if you are willing to go second hand, and you can accommodate an extra box,
you could think about bi amping an A32 or A38 which would out perform the Leema
and this gives the Arcam's some real punch.
You can get an A32 and P35 second hand for £800 these days.
(I managed to get an A32 and a P38 for this price).
The improvements are significant because the Arcam's sound punchier and weightier bi amped.
My friend has an A38 biamped with a P35 running a pair of TB2i's.
They sound absolutely stunning.

So the other thought is what music you enjoy listening to.
Electronica, ambient stuff, acoustic guitar music, vocals, jazz etc all sound amazing with
Arcam's big soundstage and balanced neutral sound and the PMC's.

I suspect tHe issue isn't which amp to pick, it's what to do with that up-grade-itis feeling you have niggling away!!

LowFeller

damonster said:
plastic penguin said:
Anyway, not too sure why I'm even contemplating... the Leema is a stunning machine. Can't see the Arcam blowing the Pulse out of the water, nonetheless, I'll still have a weekend dabble.
I don't think its a case of one blowing the other out of the water pp .I chose the db1is over the kef ls50 .the kefs are technically better speakers.But when hearing the Db1is with Arcam amp the combination sounded better than the kefs on any other pairing that included kef ls50 Cyrus,kef ls50 Arcam ,kef ls50 audiolab 8200cdq and power amp. Arcam and pmc something special happened.Thats just my opinion though not fact ,before anyone else jumps all over me.

Thanks damonster. I fully appreciate it's very subjective - and the advice. I've tried to help you wherever poss...

BTW, have you compared any amp to the Leema in your own home?

LowFeller said:
Hi PP A few thoughts occur: FWIW, I demo-ed the Leema and both the A32 and A38 Arcams with PMC's GB1i speakers. All 3 are great amps and the synergy all have with PMC is excellent. To my ears the Leema shaded it most of the time but I preferred the Arcam's big open soundstage. (I say that as someone who is not a bass head but who likes to hear what the bass is doing). As has already been said, it would probably be a sideways move - different, but not necessarily an improvement. But you know that!! However, if you are willing to go second hand, and you can accommodate an extra box, you could think about bi amping an A32 or A38 which would out perform the Leema and this gives the Arcam's some real punch. You can get an A32 and P35 second hand for £800 these days. (I managed to get an A32 and a P38 for this price). The improvements are significant because the Arcam's sound punchier and weightier bi amped. My friend has an A38 biamped with a P35 running a pair of TB2i's. They sound absolutely stunning. So the other thought is what music you enjoy listening to. Electronica, ambient stuff, acoustic guitar music, vocals, jazz etc all sound amazing with Arcam's big soundstage and balanced neutral sound and the PMC's. I suspect tHe issue isn't which amp to pick, it's what to do with that up-grade-itis feeling you have niggling away!! LowFeller

Cheers for that. This is problem not too many people have heard both.

Your conclusion was pretty much my initial thinking.

SSM

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
The last Leema amp I heard was the Pulse III tethered to PMC Twenty22. Arcam and PMC are often mentioned as a synergistic combo, but the Leema-PMC sounded just fine to me. Athough I have not heard my A38 through PMC speakers, I reckon it is very likely has a more robust sound than the swift, fleet-flooted Pulse III, with greater gravitas in the bass. Both are excellent ss amps. Your own ears will decide if the A38's sound provide the upgrade you are looking for.
smiley-smile.gif

cheerSS

SSM said:
The last Leema amp I heard was the Pulse III tethered to PMC Twenty22. Arcam and PMC are often mentioned as a synergistic combo, but the Leema-PMC sounded just fine to me. Athough I have not heard my A38 through PMC speakers, I reckon it is very likely has a more robust sound than the swift, fleet-flooted Pulse III, with greater gravitas in the bass. Both are excellent ss amps. Your own ears will decide if the A38's sound provide the upgrade you are looking for.
smiley-smile.gif

cheerSS

Thank you. Yes, from personal experience Arcams achilles heel, IMHO, was always the LFs. Gorgeous midrange and sweet treble but the bass could be troublesome. This is where the Pulse romps past Arcams: Beautifully taut, rhythmic bottom end.

Hoping, in that case, the A38 might buck that trend.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I heard the A38 and the Pulse when I was looking and thought they are both excellent and would have been happy with either.

I thought the Arcam had a larger warmer sound than the Leema but the Leema had a bit more attack and clarity.

I too like the Arcam sound had and Alpha 5, have an Alpha 9 and would only replace it with an A32 or 38.

I heard an A75 which didn't quite do it for me but it still had the Arcam sound.

I think as you seem to know already it would be a change rather than an improvement, maybe try a listen to Caspian M2, not a popular amp on here , which to my ears knocked socks of fboth, I don't know how it compare with older Caspians but I would have no intention of swapping either of the above with it.

Have fun.

Good luck and have fun.

Shanka said:
Hi, I heard the A38 and the Pulse when I was looking and thought they are both excellent and would have been happy with either. I thought the Arcam had a larger warmer sound than the Leema but the Leema had a bit more attack and clarity. I too like the Arcam sound had and Alpha 5, have an Alpha 9 and would only replace it with an A32 or 38. I heard an A75 which didn't quite do it for me but it still had the Arcam sound. I think as you seem to know already it would be a change rather than an improvement, maybe try a listen to Caspian M2, not a popular amp on here , which to my ears knocked socks of fboth, I don't know how it compare with older Caspians but I would have no intention of swapping either of the above with it. Have fun. Good luck and have fun.

The Caspian is out of the question because it lacks the inputs I need, that's also the problem with Creek.

Not heard the A75 but i had the A65+ and for the money it is a stonking amp.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
When are you going to try out an A38 in your system?

Originally going to borrow one this weekend but work and half-term put the brakes on that idea, so it'll be over the next couple of weeks.

In other words 'never'.

Still waiting for findings from your Icon valve amp demo.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Matthewpiano can get through three entire system changes in the time it takes you to just talk about the posiibility of (maybe) auditioning a new amp.

He is far better value for money :)

He just gets out there and does it. Vooom! Big Matthewpiano shaped hole in the wall and he's off. No-one can stop him. Brilliant.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
When are you going to try out an A38 in your system?

Originally going to borrow one this weekend but work and half-term put the brakes on that idea, so it'll be over the next couple of weeks.

In other words 'never'.

Still waiting for findings from your Icon valve amp demo.

No. It will happen, and so will the Icon. But as the Icon is located in NE London I did state that rather than take a day off I'm trying to build some sort of custom over there.

(if memory serves me you told me in forthright terms [something along these lines]. "At my age, I should avoid hi-fi shops as I spend too much time..."

matthewpiano

chebby said:
Matthewpiano can get through three entire system changes in the time it takes you to just talk about the posiibility of (maybe) auditioning a new amp.

He is far better value for money :)

He just gets out there and does it. Vooom! Big Matthewpiano shaped hole in the wall and he's off. No-one can stop him. Brilliant.

:rofl:

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi MoJoe

What did the Sugden replace? Is it the SE? and can you let us know what the Sugden gives you sound wise.

Sorry about all the questions but I'm thinking of getting one, well its on a list! cheers

(EDIT just seen mathewpianos last post wish id not asked now!!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts