Stick or twist: Arcam A38?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
It is!! Both the Leema and DB1i's sound brilliant together.

However been looking to upgrade for a more valve like sound hence the interest in the Sugden and poss some Harbeth's

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
boggit said:
matthewpiano said:
Why would my last post have an influence on you asking about the Sugden?

Me procrastinating over chosing a new amp...

Sounds a painful way of choosing a new amp. :)

The opposite in fact.

Procrastination is doing easier / more pleasurable tasks whilst putting off something less pleasant or more aduous.

(Unless you find choosing a new amp a difficult and unpleasurable task that you want to keep putting off.)

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
boggit said:
matthewpiano said:
Why would my last post have an influence on you asking about the Sugden?

Me procrastinating over chosing a new amp...

Sounds a painful way of choosing a new amp. :)

The opposite in fact.

Procrastination is doing easier / more pleasurable tasks whilst putting off something less pleasant or more aduous.

(Unless you find choosing a new amp a difficult and unpleasurable task that you want to keep putting off.)

(Sighs)

I know what procrastination means: Morecombe & Wise would've received praise/adulation for a quip like that. AlI I get is grief from....

Can't be bothered.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Matthewpiano can get through three entire system changes in the time it takes you to just talk about the posiibility of (maybe) auditioning a new amp.

He is far better value for money :)

He just gets out there and does it. Vooom! Big Matthewpiano shaped hole in the wall and he's off. No-one can stop him. Brilliant.

:clap:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I know what procrastination means: Morecombe & Wise would've received praise/adulation for a quip like that.

60 years ago, on a wet Sunday afternoon, on a pier in Clacton maybe.

And it's 'Morecambe' not 'Morecombe'.

MoJoe

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the delay. My new Sugden replaced a Marantz PM 6004. Speakers replaced Tannoy Mercury V4. I'm at the stage of moving up from entry level gear.

I'm actually on the look out for a new cd player/streamer and tt so in the market for recommendations

I'm not too sure how to describe the sound. Warm, detailed and open are the words that spring to mind

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
I know what procrastination means: Morecombe & Wise would've received praise/adulation for a quip like that.

60 years ago

And it's 'Morecambe' not 'Morecombe'.

Wouldn't know about that.

Far too many people on here always want to prove people wrong, especially when it isn't important. Not even a M&W fan, just used them as an example.

Back on topic:

My opening gambit in this thread was "Clearly I'm bored." Am I serious about changing amps? you draw your own conclusion.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
So worthwhile then? Did you try the Harbeth's as well as the D1

Can not help re CD player never really had one!

Streamer wise you can't go wrong with a Sonos.

boggit said:
It is!! Both the Leema and DB1i's sound brilliant together.

However been looking to upgrade for a more valve like sound hence the interest in the Sugden and poss some Harbeth's

Sooooooo...what is a "more valve like sound"? I've no idea what a valve amp sounds like, as I'm a total numbskull when it comes to hi-fi and music in general.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Back on topic:

My opening gambit in this thread was "Clearly I'm bored." Am I serious about changing amps? you draw your own conclusion.

if you are serious, you might have to miss out on the A38 unless you get a secondhand example.

As far as I can see they've been discontinued and very few dealers have remaining stock.

it's anyone's guess if an A39 will appear once the new A49 hits the HiFi store shelves.

If not, there's a huge gap between the A19 at £649 and the A49 at £3500.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
You could be lucky and find an end of stock discounted Arcam A38 if they are planning a new model (that is how i started with an Arcam A32 new at around half price at £690 and then traded up to A38 with little extra outlay).

If it helps i will not be looking to get a newer version this time around as the A38 is going to be a permanent resident as i like it so much. It is a nice feeling when you finally find the 'right' amplifier that leaves you no longer looking. The proof is that after 3 years i am still not tempted by any of the newer amps i now read about.

Good luck though. I wouldnt keep changing for the sake of it, but the Arcam A38 is one of the gems i would certainly give a test to.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
crusaderlord said:
You could be lucky and find an end of stock discounted Arcam A38 if they are planning a new model ........

Probably missed the boat on that one.

As the model was quietly dropped, supplies have gradually vanished so it's unlikely there are many left, even at a discounted rate.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi again,

Was just wondering how the boredom was and if you had heard the A38 yet.

I have just got a CD 23 to play with, have it paired with the Exposure and quite enjoying it so far, might be able to get a Pulse to play with next month so would be interested to see how it stacks up with the Exposure, it is not available to buy but just to play with.

Have fun.

Shanka said:
Hi again, Was just wondering how the boredom was and if you had heard the A38 yet. I have just got a CD 23 to play with, have it paired with the Exposure and quite enjoying it so far, might be able to get a Pulse to play with next month so would be interested to see how it stacks up with the Exposure, it is not available to buy but just to play with. Have fun.

Not yet. Little one is going on a school field trip to Dorset next week, so, hopefully, I'll blag one then.

stevebrock said:
go listen to a valve PP = you never know your amp 'itch' may be be gone for good!

(Sighs). I. HAVE. NOT. GOT. AN. AMP. ITCH. Do you not understand? I love hi-fis of all formats... nothing more, nothing less.

And no a valve amp is NOT suitable for my home use. Regardless of the merits of valve v SS, a SS amp suits my needs perfectly. And at the price, little, if anything, touches the Pulse.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
go listen to a valve PP = you never know your amp 'itch' may be be gone for good!

(Sighs). I. HAVE. NOT. GOT. AN. AMP. ITCH. Do you not understand? I love hi-fis of all formats... nothing more, nothing less.

And no a valve amp is NOT suitable for my home use. Regardless of the merits of valve v SS, a SS amp suits my needs perfectly. And at the price, little, if anything, touches the Pulse.

right ok so why the fook do you want to fook around with a 'similar' amp

even I could hardly tell the difference between 2 different SS £1600 amps

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

right ok so why the fook do you want to fook around with a 'similar' amp

even I could hardly tell the difference between 2 different SS £1600 amps

Because dear chap, I've always loved Arcam and the only one over the years I haven't heard is the A38. Is that okay for you?

Thinking about it, I'm sure you valvey types are linked with active systems: Always trying to tell people what to buy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts