Stereo subs: split each channel and use both inputs

SeattleChris

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
I had been running stereo subs, with a single RCA cable from the right preout to the right sub's right input and from the left preout to the left sub's left input. After reading some comments here on a whim I emailed SVS and asked if there was any benefit to splitting the signal at each sub and using both RCA inputs. They responded saying doing so would give me a 3 decibel volume increase without taxing the sub any further.

I got splitters and the change was even more dramatic than expected. Not only was I able to turn down the volume 3 dB on the SVS bluetooth phone app, but I also disabled the parametric equalizer I had boosting the 60-70 Hz range by another 3 dB. Even with those changes the bass is now tighter & fuller and more natural sounding. Not sure what kind of witchcraft is going on here, but I'm sure glad I stumbled upon it!

I had been running stereo subs, with a single RCA cable from the right preout to the right sub's right input and from the left preout to the left sub's left input. After reading some comments here on a whim I emailed SVS and asked if there was any benefit to splitting the signal at each sub and using both RCA inputs. They responded saying doing so would give me a 3 decibel volume increase without taxing the sub any further.

I got splitters and the change was even more dramatic than expected. Not only was I able to turn down the volume 3 dB on the SVS bluetooth phone app, but I also disabled the parametric equalizer I had boosting the 60-70 Hz range by another 3 dB. Even with those changes the bass is now tighter & fuller and more natural sounding. Not sure what kind of witchcraft is going on here, but I'm sure glad I stumbled upon it!
what do you see as the benefits of running two subs in the first place.?

SeattleChris

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
My listening room is small and not ideal, and I read that two subs can help avoid bass "peaks & nulls". I decided to go stereo rather than dual mono to see if it would help the soundstage any. I've convinced myself it did, though understand if you think I'm nuts...

SeattleChris

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
Listened again last night and the bass has improved enough that the midrange and maybe even treble has improved. I imagine any sound with even a slight bass resonance would benefit from improved bass, thus allowing better definition of even midrange & treble. It's therefore entirely possible the whole soundstage improved by simply splitting the sub RCA cable to use both inputs!

Was going to let this thread die but had to make one last comment because this small change made a significant difference. As is constantly suggested on this forum, try as many different things as you can to see what you perceive, and keep an open mind!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts