Stereo only amp suggestions for 2nd setup

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, I'm looking to create a second stereo only set up for our hobby/kids room. I already have a pair of almost new Monitor Audio BR2 speakers and a spare Airport Express (using optical output) with which I wish to partner an amplifier. I was concerned by the 6Ohms/100W output of the speakers and what amp would best match this specification. Mrs. TnA was not happy about my budget for a Marantz CR603 as our secondary system, hence my search for humbler amp options. After looking at some of the Forum comments and reviews here are (in vague order) some of the ideas that I had. - Onkyo TX-8050- Marantz PM6004- Yamaha A-S500- Rotel RA-04SEDoes anyone have any other suggestions for a good stereo amplifier? As my signature suggests, ALL the music will be streamed from an iTunes/Lossless Mac source. Music in our house ranges from classical, rock/pop/r&b to audiobooks even! So basically the whole musical spectrum! Appreciate any help. Regards, TnA200

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi PP,

I already have MA BR2 speakers and an Airport Express.

I just need a good Stereo Amp that will not damage speakers rated at 6Ohms/100W.

I already have an Onkyo 875 in the living room, so like and am familiar with Onkyo, but am not bound to them. The Yamaha seems to have a great price and good reviews... Sound quality / good built-in DAC is the priority.

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi moon,

Thanks for the response. I would assume they would all have DACs built in. No? But perhaps the Onkyo has a better DAC than most. I must say that I am slightly biased towards the Onkyo, but was worried that perhaps its power output might be too much for the speakers. Any thoughts?

Regards.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
A standard integrated amplifier such as the Rotel, Marantz or Yamaha you mentioned will not usually include an onboard DAC. It is happening more frequently, usually in more expensive amplifiers. Usually only AV receivers will have an onboard DAC section.

Interestingly the new Cambridge Audio 651a does have a USB input for computers. From what I can tell you wish to partner with The Airport express, which would mean either taking a single Jack to phono from it into an amplifier, or, using the Optical out into the DAC of an Amplifier with an onboard DAC.

Well if you only intend to keep a Stereo setup in this room the Onkyo 8050 looks like a good option. Or if you plan to add a TV at some point you could try something like the Sony STRDH 820 which would give nice sound, but not as good as an integrated amplifier.

the analogue out of the Airport Express is meant to be very reasonable, Ive never heard it though. So you just connect it straight to an integrated amplifier via a single jack to phono lead

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Moon,

I have always used an optical cable from an Airport Express to my Onkyo 875 AV Receiver, so never relied upon the AE's DAC, but the receivers. I guess this is what led me to believe that all Stereo Receivers would have them too.

I guess this makes the Onkyo TX-8050 the model that stands out as the best bet for me. I'm looking forward to the WHF review of it as the word of mouth for it on these Forums seems to be very positive. Amazon has positive reviews too. I still haven't found out what type of DAC the unit contains. The UK Onkyo page doesn't seem to state it.

Onkyo | TX-8050

OK will look into it further as regards to cost and acquisition. Must first face the Wifely Inquisition and explain my latest AV idea :)

Any other tips or information on the Onkyo TX-8050 performance and unique "issues" from existing users would be most helpful in making the final decsion.

One last thing. Oddly Onkyo seems to be Windows biased. I was considering the Synology DS212j or the DS411j NAS and wondered if that would work well with the Onkyo as the NAS would be plugged into the Airport Extreme Router. Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

TnA200

A

Anonymous

TnA200, nice avatar by the way!

This nice Chair Man picture brings back good memories!!! (...that doesn't make me sound old... right guys?... please... somebody??? ;) )

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks SteveD.

I'm quite surprised to not find any info on the DAC as you would imagine that would be a selling point for them. Burr-Brown, Wolfson, Sabre, or perhaps one of their own that they do not care to mention?

The Burr-Brown DAC was one selling point when I chose the Onkyo 875 a few years ago. And before purchasing any "good" piece of audio/video hardware I would ike to know its key internal components. I don't wish to buy an additional external DAC if the internal one is a good one to start with. Esp. as any Onkyo DAC-1000 or Arcam rDac would cost more than this unit!

Is there any Onkyo person on these Forums who would care to shed some light?

Regards, TnA

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts