Question Stereo Integrated amplifier with lower power output against a speaker with higher power handling

ana45

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
Right now, i have an existing B&W 683 S2 speakers with power handling capacity of 200W and i would like to replace my integrated amplifier with Cambridge Azur Integrated Class XD amplifier model 851A having an output power of 120W RMS into 8ohms. What would be the effect or consequence of such match?

Gray

Right now, i have an existing B&W 683 S2 speakers with power handling capacity of 200W and i would like to replace my integrated amplifier with Cambridge Azur Integrated Class XD amplifier model 851A having an output power of 120W RMS into 8ohms. What would be the effect or consequence of such match?
No problem whatsoever.
(The sound match is up to you to decide).

The power handling is simply the point beyond which the speakers are likely to be damaged. Your ears usually will tell you that rather sooner!

That has nothing to do with how powerful an amplifier you need. Factors affecting that include:- the sensitivity of your speakers, usually expressed in dB/Watt; the size of your room; whether you like realistic volumes or more background levels; the speaker’s impedance characteristics (a more technical aspect).

In most typical listening rooms any amplifier offering a genuine 100watts into 8 ohms will be fine with most mainstream speakers. Your B&Ws will be fine electrically. Whether they make an ideal sound match I cannot say, as I’ve not heard them, but I’m sure your nearest Richer Sounds will be able to help.

ana45

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
The power handling is simply the point beyond which the speakers are likely to be damaged. Your ears usually will tell you that rather sooner!

That has nothing to do with how powerful an amplifier you need. Factors affecting that include:- the sensitivity of your speakers, usually expressed in dB/Watt; the size of your room; whether you like realistic volumes or more background levels; the speaker’s impedance characteristics (a more technical aspect).

In most typical listening rooms any amplifier offering a genuine 100watts into 8 ohms will be fine with most mainstream speakers. Your B&Ws will be fine electrically. Whether they make an ideal sound match I cannot say, as I’ve not heard them, but I’m sure your nearest Richer Sounds will be able to help.

Thanks so much sir. I think i really need to audition them first before buying.

D

Deleted member 116933

Or lets put it this way, the difference between 120w 200 amp is I think is roughly 1db. In every day listening you're never going to notice that, I'd be surprised if in most cases the amp even swings over 10watts. It's more about the energy stored (those capacitors) and being able to deliver peaks when called for.

The biggest thing with your speakers is the ohms with a min of 3 and how often and how long it stays there not all amps can do this. Naim springs to mind in this regard as they specifically list it. eg "able to drive 2 ohm loads for extended periods of time"

But I'm sure you will be fine.

Edit;

Just to add I think you should add a musical fidelity to the list, the m5 model, actually has a little more power and they pretty control everything they have thrown at them.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjbomber

Right now, i have an existing B&W 683 S2 speakers with power handling capacity of 200W
Speakers will quote a minimum and maximum handling capacity. For yours, the B&W are 25-200W. Anything in between those is fine. Buy with confidence, preferably after an audition.

Incidentally, 200W in your living room will make your ears bleed! You'll never go anywhere near that in the real world.

Right now, i have an existing B&W 683 S2 speakers with power handling capacity of 200W and i would like to replace my integrated amplifier

with 120W RMS into 8ohms.

What would be the effect or consequence of such match?

Watts might look impressive on paper but ime they should also have a good dose of current to back them up.

One of the items I've taken home from the store during the current lockdown is Naim Audio's SuperNait 3. The SuperNait 3 @ 80w is gripping, driving and energising speakers more effectively then some amplifiers I've had at home rated up to three times the power of the SuperNait 3.

With all things being equal it's preferable to avoid components where as the wick is turned and the system louder but not much else happens other than then system sounding lacklustre. It's akin to the lights being on but no ones at home. Anyway, like I've said before it's better to have current rich power rather then current starved marketing and brochure impressive but ultimately somewhat weedy 'paper' watts.

No guts. No glory.

Btw, what amplifier are you using please?

ana45

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
Or lets put it this way, the difference between 120w 200 amp is I think is roughly 1db. In every day listening you're never going to notice that, I'd be surprised if in most cases the amp even swings over 10watts. It's more about the energy stored (those capacitors) and being able to deliver peaks when called for.

The biggest thing with your speakers is the ohms with a min of 3 and how often and how long it stays there not all amps can do this. Naim springs to mind in this regard as they specifically list it. eg "able to drive 2 ohm loads for extended periods of time"

But I'm sure you will be fine.

Edit;

Just to add I think you should add a musical fidelity to the list, the m5 model, actually has a little more power and they pretty control everything they have thrown at them.

Input is very much appreciated sir! 'Will consider it in my list for audition.

ana45

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
Thanks mu
Speakers will quote a minimum and maximum handling capacity. For yours, the B&W are 25-200W. Anything in between those is fine. Buy with confidence, preferably after an audition.

Incidentally, 200W in your living room will make your ears bleed! You'll never go anywhere near that in the real world.
[/QUOTE

Thank you for your comment sir !

ana45

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
Watts might look impressive on paper but ime they should also have a good dose of current to back them up.

One of the items I've taken home from the store during the current lockdown is Naim Audio's SuperNait 3. The SuperNait 3 @ 80w is gripping, driving and energising speakers more effectively then some amplifiers I've had at home rated up to three times the power of the SuperNait 3.

With all things being equal it's preferable to avoid components where as the wick is turned and the system louder but not much else happens other than then system sounding lacklustre. It's akin to the lights being on but no ones at home. Anyway, like I've said before it's better to have current rich power rather then current starved marketing and brochure impressive but ultimately somewhat weedy 'paper' watts.

No guts. No glory.

Btw, what amplifier are you using please?

I guess you are right sir that specifications might look impressive on papers, more so, if its from the manufacturers. Your shared experience reinforces my belief to put an extra effort to audition first any choices, before deciding on anything. My current integrated amp is azur 851A which to me is quite short in fidelity, punch and imaging. Any suggestion for at least 3 models to seriously consider auditioning? Roksan Blak / Roksan K3 / Rega Aethos / Cambridge Audio CXA 81 and Naim Spernait 3. Thanks everyone and best regards !

gasolin

NO, many speakers can handle more than they are rated for but need 100% clean watt and you shouldn't play edm since it has extream amoung of bass, for 200, 100% clean watt you might need 400 or more watt, since 200 watt rms might need alot more peak power to be 100% clean (unclipped) mabye up to 5x or more

gasolin

NO it's not minimum and maximum handling capacity, it can handle lower watt and somtimes higher wattage

IT'S the recommeded min and max power, sometimes it's above rated power like gpus, so yoy have more so you shure you have enough watt for the speakers when playing loud (when you use a cheap psu for a demanding gpu)

Simply overhead if we call it that when recommed power is higher than the speaker can handel, the gpu needs

Last edited:

gasolin

I guess you are right sir that specifications might look impressive on papers, more so, if its from the manufacturers. Your shared experience reinforces my belief to put an extra effort to audition first any choices, before deciding on anything. My current integrated amp is azur 851A which to me is quite short in fidelity, punch and imaging. Any suggestion for at least 3 models to seriously consider auditioning? Roksan Blak / Roksan K3 / Rega Aethos / Cambridge Audio CXA 81 and Naim Spernait 3. Thanks everyone and best regards !

Im pretty shure if a Cambridge audio Azure 851a doesn't have enough fidelity, punch and imaging im 99% shure a cambridge audio CXA 81 won't be better

Mabye add a musical fidelity. M3SI or M6SI, hegel with more than 100 watt H120 or 160 or 190 (used or new is up to you), just before it gets super expensive

Denon PMA-1600NE i also have heard alot of good things about

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts