• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Question Stereo Integrated amplifier with lower power output against a speaker with higher power handling

ana45

Aug 22, 2020
Right now, i have an existing B&W 683 S2 speakers with power handling capacity of 200W and i would like to replace my integrated amplifier with Cambridge Azur Integrated Class XD amplifier model 851A having an output power of 120W RMS into 8ohms. What would be the effect or consequence of such match?

Gray

Nov 27, 2015
Right now, i have an existing B&W 683 S2 speakers with power handling capacity of 200W and i would like to replace my integrated amplifier with Cambridge Azur Integrated Class XD amplifier model 851A having an output power of 120W RMS into 8ohms. What would be the effect or consequence of such match?
No problem whatsoever.
(The sound match is up to you to decide).

Reactions: DougK and Al ears

nopiano

Feb 15, 2009
The power handling is simply the point beyond which the speakers are likely to be damaged. Your ears usually will tell you that rather sooner!

That has nothing to do with how powerful an amplifier you need. Factors affecting that include:- the sensitivity of your speakers, usually expressed in dB/Watt; the size of your room; whether you like realistic volumes or more background levels; the speaker’s impedance characteristics (a more technical aspect).

In most typical listening rooms any amplifier offering a genuine 100watts into 8 ohms will be fine with most mainstream speakers. Your B&Ws will be fine electrically. Whether they make an ideal sound match I cannot say, as I’ve not heard them, but I’m sure your nearest Richer Sounds will be able to help.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts