Non-fatiguing integrated amplifier with usb-dac ?

Hodor

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I am looking for an integrated amplifier for my Vienna Acoustics - Bach Grand speakers. For the last 6 years I have used Cambridge Audio 840E + 840W, which has worked quite well. I used to put + 2 dB on bass and - 1 dB on treble, to remove some of the fatiguing cymbal treble on poorly recorded tracks, and add some bass to make the metal-music that I listen to more fun. I only listen to power and some death/black metal with a lot of less well-recorded albums. Because I have a new heat efficient apartment, the heat produced from my Cambridge 840W was annoying and therefore i decided to try a Class D amp.

I purchased (second hand) a Nad M12 and M22 based on reading reviews. Unfortunately the Nad M12 and M22 made my speakers sound more like studio monitors, and now I have not listened that much to music as it do not sound that pleasant. The treble is more present, mid-bass dissapeared (I believe) and vocals seem thinner... although the bass was more thight and zero sound/humm from the amplifier itself. Some years ago I also tried a Rega Mira 3 and Marantz PM-something, and from memory they sounded better (which doesent make any sense?). Since the Nads have a high price and I don`t like them that much I have decided to sell them and buy something cheaper. But what amps should I try?

I am not sure if I (due to heat) should try another Class D amplifier, or if I should try A/B. I want an amp with USB, preferably an integrated. The amp cannot be to heavy (max 9-10 kg), due to my back problems. From what I read the NAD356bee seems to fit, but it looks uglier that a drunk troll (I prefer brushed aluminium fronts). The Cambridge CX80 seems ok, but is it less bright than Marantz PM-7005? Which has a 'fuller' or heavier sound? Any other suggestions?

Samples of what I mean with bright/less good recording: 1) Neonfly - Outshine The Sun, 2) Helloween - Save Us, 3) Arch Enemy - Ravenous

Edit: Is the Nad D7050 an option? Does it have enough power to drive the Bach Grand (4 ohm) in a 23 square m room?

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hodor said:
Hi, I am looking for an integrated amplifier for my Vienna Acoustics - Bach Grand speakers. For the last 6 years I have used Cambridge Audio 840E + 840W, which has worked quite well. I used to put + 2 dB on bass and - 1 dB on treble, to remove some of the fatiguing cymbal treble on poorly recorded tracks, and add some bass to make the metal-music that I listen to more fun. I only listen to power and some death/black metal with a lot of less well-recorded albums. Because I have a new heat efficient apartment, the heat produced from my Cambridge 840W was annoying and therefore i decided to try a Class D amp.

I purchased (second hand) a Nad M12 and M22 based on reading reviews. Unfortunately the Nad M12 and M22 made my speakers sound more like studio monitors, and now I have not listened that much to music as it do not sound that pleasant. The treble is more present, mid-bass dissapeared (I believe) and vocals seem thinner... although the bass was more thight and zero sound/humm from the amplifier itself. Some years ago I also tried a Rega Mira 3 and Marantz PM-something, and from memory they sounded better (which doesent make any sense?). Since the Nads have a high price and I don`t like them that much I have decided to sell them and buy something cheaper. But what amps should I try?

I am not sure if I (due to heat) should try another Class D amplifier, or if I should try A/B. I want an amp with USB, preferably an integrated. The amp cannot be to heavy (max 9-10 kg), due to my back problems. From what I read the NAD356bee seems to fit, but it looks uglier that a drunk troll (I prefer brushed aluminium fronts). The Cambridge CX80 seems ok, but is it less bright than Marantz PM-7005? Which has a 'fuller' or heavier sound? Any other suggestions?

Samples of what I mean with bright/less good recording: 1) Neonfly - Outshine The Sun, 2) Helloween - Save Us, 3) Arch Enemy - Ravenous

Edit: Is the Nad D7050 an option? Does it have enough power to drive the Bach Grand (4 ohm) in a 23 square m room?

I think the D7050 uses the same tech as the M22 , you could try a D390 , I have one but `I'm thinking you dont like the class D sound, you'd be better off keeping the M12 and trying the C275 power amp . Not sure why the weight matters , get the dealer to install it :)

James

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hodor said:
Hi, I am looking for an integrated amplifier for my Vienna Acoustics - Bach Grand speakers. For the last 6 years I have used Cambridge Audio 840E + 840W, which has worked quite well. I used to put + 2 dB on bass and - 1 dB on treble, to remove some of the fatiguing cymbal treble on poorly recorded tracks, and add some bass to make the metal-music that I listen to more fun. I only listen to power and some death/black metal with a lot of less well-recorded albums. Because I have a new heat efficient apartment, the heat produced from my Cambridge 840W was annoying and therefore i decided to try a Class D amp. ?

I purchased (second hand) a Nad M12 and M22 based on reading reviews. Unfortunately the Nad M12 and M22 made my speakers sound more like studio monitors, and now I have not listened that much to music as it do not sound that pleasant. The treble is more present, mid-bass dissapeared (I believe) and vocals seem thinner... although the bass was more thight and zero sound/humm from the amplifier itself. Some years ago I also tried a Rega Mira 3 and Marantz PM-something, and from memory they sounded better (which doesent make any sense?). Since the Nads have a high price and I don`t like them that much I have decided to sell them and buy something cheaper. But what amps should I try??

?

First off the nad seems to fit your sound the best but you dont like looks. How important is looks compared
to sound quality? I would for tour sound requirements recommend hegel, abrahamsen or electrocompaniet amps but you need to check out the looks as hegel.is like a posh nad and the others have brass knobs

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
1) Choice of music - Metal

2) Speakers - 4 ohm floorstanders

3) Room 23m2

4) Idea for an amplifier - 2x50W in 4 ohms desktop amp

This thread has to be a joke!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Manufacturers should go back to old paper cone tweeters to cater for the aging rocker, now concerned audiophile. Brochures will reasuringly state "TINITUS FRIENDLY WARM & LUSH SOUND!".

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
What is wrong with the amp producing a bit of heat? Is it purely a worry about wasted energy costing money?

It seems to me you have a very tall order of requirements. You want an amplifier that looks good, weighs less than 9kg, makes a very ropey music genre sound pleasant and produces no heat, as well as being able to fill a decent size living area with full warm sound driving 4 ohm speakers?

I think something is going to have to give in that list. I also think tone controls are a must so you can keep on upping the bass and taming the treble. It's not exactly hi fi friendly music as you've discovered with the NAD setup which is revealing it for what it is in terms of recording quality.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
NAD m12/m22 combo.... That combo is pretty close to the top of the hifi chain.

Change your speakers - Proac D18's or Spendor A6's, PMC FB1's - try to audition if possible.

Cannot understand your choices, why you would come so far down the electronics chain. ...seriously your electronics are objects of desire.

One member, Jaxwired was an owner of some NAD m kit he ran a few videos on YouTube, they're good. Look at his speaker choices.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Maybe something in the Bel Canto range e.g the C5i might work ... small, non fatigueing and Class D.

Or you can wait for the Pathos AmpliD and Converto Evo pairing to see what they are like ... also small Class D designs which should sound good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts