State Of Review

manicm

I know strictly speaking this should go in the AV section, but I think it bears pointing out here.

The most noteworthy part from this review of the new Sony AV amp, is that the one dedicated to pure music reproduction is through, deep breath, Bluetooth.

Oh well.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I know strictly speaking this should go in the AV section, but I think it bears pointing out here.

The most noteworthy part from this review of the new Sony AV amp, is that the one dedicated to pure music reproduction is through, deep breath, Bluetooth.

Oh well.

It's absolutely fine to do a test with Bluetooth, because it's a feature and a lot of people will probably use it.

But you're right - it's a bit crappy that it was the ONLY music test, especially when the amp has that not-exactly-inconspicuous 'Hi-Res Audio' sticker on the front.

Sixtyten

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
This is not a budget amp. It's 1000 quid, and I'd expect users to want to use something better than Bluetooth, unless they're just watching movies with it.

Everything about this amp, beyond the price screams "budget". I'd venture it's the replacement for the entry level STR-DH790, rather than the 1080.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Using an amp for streaming, or any device other than a computer/smartphone, requires learning to use the GUI of said device.

People want convenience, myself included. Bluetooth allows you to use a GUI you are familiar with an a device you are familiar with.

Personally, I went so far as connecting a 5m cable from my smartphone to the amplifier. Not visually or ergonomically pleasant, but less is more when it comes to GUIs.

manicm

Using an amp for streaming, or any device other than a computer/smartphone, requires learning to use the GUI of said device.

People want convenience, myself included. Bluetooth allows you to use a GUI you are familiar with an a device you are familiar with.

Personally, I went so far as connecting a 5m cable from my smartphone to the amplifier. Not visually or ergonomically pleasant, but less is more when it comes to GUIs.

I'm dead sure the Sony amp has an app, it has Airplay, Chromecast, even Spotify Connect.

I stand by my opinion, that this review of a 1000 quid amp is deeply incomplete.

If it was a $200 device I wouldn't have bothered to comment. But my logic dictates that people would care about decent music playback. And Bluetooth is the LCD.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I'm dead sure the Sony amp has an app, it has Airplay, Chromecast, even Spotify Connect.

I stand by my opinion, that this review of a 1000 quid amp is deeply incomplete.

If it was a $200 device I wouldn't have bothered to comment. But my logic dictates that people would care about decent music playback. And Bluetooth is the LCD.
I see what you mean. It is a major capability of this amp and it is left unreviewed.

My positive experience with Bluetooth is based on the Ifi ZEN Blue, i.e. a dedicated device, with aftermarket power supply (iPower 5V).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts