starter system recommendation?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I'm trying to build my very first starter hifi system, after using a headphone-based system for years. I already have a NAD C521BEE CD player, so I guess all I need is an amplifier and a pair of speakers. As this is my first system, I would like to stay with the budget components which seem quite capable these days. Most of the time I'm listening to classic music and operas.

For the speakers I have my eyes on Tannoy F1 Custom and Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, which I plan to audit them in a local shop soon. But I'd also like to hear about any advice I can get here. Also I have almost no any idea which amplifier I should look for. Is Marantz PM-4001 a good match with the Tannoy or Wharfedale? I like the extra phono stage, and might consider adding a turntable. What about the newer PM6002? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

The marantz 6002 with MA Bronze BR2 (£200) seem to be the general favourite. However the Rotel RA 04 is still my preference when used with B&W 685's (£380) or 686's (£280). Audition any of these combinations if you can and see which suits you ears best. Also remember to buget for some decent stands eg Atacama etc.

A

Anonymous

I think you'd be fine with the NAD C315BEE or C325BEE amplifying. (then you'll have matching kit!!!)

It always comes down to personal preference but the entry level models from NAD, Cambridge, Rotel et al are really quite fantastic for the money.

Also, I'd really recommend spending a bit more on speakers, the fact is if you err on the conservative side now there's a good chance you'll end up replacing them in the not too distant future. The next notches up in BW and tannoy are really good, also Monitor's RS6 is just a brilliant starter speaker set and the Mordaunt Short Avant or Mezzo lines are quite formidable. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention Totem, ever the zeal of the convert and all that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts