Starter setup advice please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi After a bit of advice really,

My daughter has started collecting vinyl in anticipation of my buying her a setup for her birthday, she's 15 but very into her music for her age... So i was looking at a reasonable combination for her and was advised of the following. Pro-ject essentials turntable (£140), cambridge am10 amp(£108 - refurb) and cambridge s30 speakers (£130). is this a reasonable starter set? she will be using it in her room (13ft square) and playing a diverse mix of music.

never looked at this kind of thing before so any help greatly appreciated. Not looking to spend more than £400 really..

thanks
smiley-laughing.gif

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
TT is ok but the genie is better, not the amp, marantz pm6004 not the speakers, wharfedale diamond 10.1 or mission mx1's or the tannoy v which are on a deal richers at the moment.

A

Anonymous

Hi Thanks for the advice, i've spent some time looking at the marantz amp and can only find it for about £300, am i looking at the right one? if so its outside of my price range so could you suggest something a little less pricey??

thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi Thanks for the advice, i've spent some time looking at the marantz amp and can only find it for about £300, am i looking at the right one? if so its outside of my price range so could you suggest something a little less pricey??

thanks

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
My error actually, i was thinking of the 5004 which can be had for about £150.00 if you shop around, 400 might be pusing it a bit so you may have to up the budget, if it was me i'd go for genie 3 about £180, tannoy mercury v1 about £99.00 which leaves £120.00 for the amp, of course thats not including stands and cable, sorry thats a tough one, maybe the essential which knocks about 40 quid of the price of the genie, which might leave you enough for stands and cables, i think you have your work cut out unless another member comes along to help but if you go to your local richer sounds again and see if they can do a deal for you, it's the phono stage in the amp thats causing the problem years ago they all had them but there dosen't seem to many now, good luck and keep us informed.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for taking the time to help me out, all bought, got a good deal in the end from richers, they had an open box genie, and were open to a bit of a haggle so in the end i got everything you suggested for £415 with stands and some decent cable. will let you know how it sounds when its all set up!!

thanks

mark

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Good one, do let us know how it sounds and what amp and speakers you plumped for, my reputation is on the line with this one.

A

Anonymous

Hi!! in the end went for the marantz pm5004 and tannoy mercury v1 speakers you suggested. Her birthday is not until the 29th June but i have put a note in my diary to let you know how it sounds!! My wife wouldnt let me put it together for evaluation purposes (much to my dissappointment!!).

Again thank you for your sage advice, I think you've made best use of the budget I had available.

I'm certain your reputation will remain in tact!!

Thanks again, and will post again on the 29th (can't wait!!)

Mark

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts