Starter System

darrenconnor4

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Help,

I'm looking for a starter system for my brother. He borrowed my Cambridge Audio 641A + BX5s for a while when I was between homes and now he's gutted that I've taken them back.

He listens to lots of modern rubbish music, but quite a diverse range of modern rubbish to be fair so all rounders should be the aim...however, here comes the pinch....I'm on a tight budget. £100-£150 max to be honest. Obviously looking more at second hand kit then brand new.

I can sort him out with cables so they don't need to be factored in the budget and he only listens on his ipod/spotify so really just an amp and speakers is all he needs.

Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

matthewpiano

For speakers you can't go wrong with a pair of Mordaunt-Short MS20i or MS20i Pearls and there are a few on Ebay at present. This is a very musical and solid 90s speaker that works well across a broad range of music and you should be able to pick a nice pair up for somewhere around 50 quid.

Amp-wise Rotel or NAD would do the job nicely. You should be able to get a Rotel RA01 or NAD C320 within the remaining budget and either would be a great partner for the MS speakers. In fact, that system would challenge yours for sound quality so he should be very happy with it.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I would get a pair of Studiospares Seiwin 5a or 6a active speakers. Just under or just over £150 respectively.

Brand new, warrantees etc.

Add an AEX or even a Neet Airstreem and go wireless, depending on the iPod of course.

rainsoothe

yep

with this budget, actives are the better way. Of course, if eye-candy factor is also important - meaning that he wants to see the separates - then 2nd hand is the way. Used Rotel or NAD amps are great for this purpose.

darrenconnor4

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Think he's after the visuals of a seperate system.

Seen a few amps on fleebay which could well go for under £50 (with postage) so hopefully i'll snatch one of those.

Any idea on the speakers?

Thanks for you help.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Nad C320BEE is a brilliant amp for around the £100 mark, what a bargain. I would also recommend Cambridge Audio S30 speakers or Boston Acoustics A25's which can be had for well under a ton 2nd hand - Ive had both and they are seriously good for the price

TRENDING THREADS