Standmounters + Amp for Classica lmusic (budget

hypoethical

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
This is a somewhat annoying situation - I'm going to buy my first hifi system from scratch consisting of speakser + amp. I mainly listen to classical, blues and jazz but the only important thing is that it works well with classical music. The problem is that i have ZERO oppurtunity to listen to any part of the system, so it will be a 100% blindbuy.

Budget is max 2000£ but anything less is good .

My 3 main ideas is;

1) Rotel ra-10 + concept 20 + dedicated stands

2) Arcam FMJ A19 + concept 20 + dedicated stands (most likely so far)

3) Arcam FMJ A19 + Kef LS50 + random stands

Review wise option nr.3 makes the most sense but gets quite expensive honestly. In that regard option 2 leaves a good room for upgrading to better speakers if i feel the necessity in future.

But then again i know nothing.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Welcome to the forum.

You do not say what your source is going to be. Do you have one or does this have to come out of the £2000 budget?

PS: Room size in square metres does not help a lot unless the general shape is stated.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not into classical, but a lot of members at the AVI Forum are.

They use the AVI ADM9 and love them.

The current model is the ADM9 RS, AND SELL FOR £1250. No amp needed as they are active speakers with DAC & pre amp.

Theres a few users of vinyl and you can add a phono amp if you want to.

hypoethical

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Source will mainly be a laptop and a DAC. I'll consider investing in a turntable later but it will be a question from then.

I already have a ODAC with which I'm rather pleased but i can consider buying a new one, but then the cost should be counted outside the budget.

Room is rectangular to borderline square.

Only Speakers+amp+stands should be included in the 2000£<

And of course i dont need to spend all of it, just enough to be happy and have a good path for upgrading in the future.

O2+ODAC+q701 atm

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I highly recommend avi adm 9 for you. They have several inputs so you can use various sources, including digital. You will not need an amp as they have them built in (very good ones).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If you prefer to stay well under budget then I would very much endorse the recommendation of the latest ADM9RS.

I have not heard this model, but I am very familiar with the ADM9T and there are plenty of comparisons on the AVI forum. I accept that there is a very small chance that the '9RSs are a step back from the older model but the comments are pretty much all positive, even if one discounts some of the more enthusiastic comments as being down to 'fanboys'.

My passive choice, should you prefer to go that way, would be the Croft Integrated, just try it with a range of standmounts at the £500-600 price point.

OOOps, just re-read your post. Have a word with Croft and see what speakers he suggests, or try one or two of his dealers and see what they say. Buy from the same dealer with the usual caveats, distance selling rules should apply.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
You really do need to be demoing some hi-fi products as no one on this forum has your ears. All the people on this forum can do is give you a list of quality hi-fi products to demo, only you can judge what sounds nice to you. 2000 quid is a lot of money to be blowing on a blind buy. I really hope that you change your mind on buying blind.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Are you certain you want standmount speakers? If not I would recommend the Kef Q series paired with Marantz amplification as I think it is ideal for classical. To my ears the Marantz neither adds nor subtracts from the signal and the Kefs are clean and analytical presenting instruments as they are in a good soundstage.

I am concerned that you are buying without listening though!

Chris

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Are you certain you want standmount speakers? If not I would recommend the Kef Q series paired with Marantz amplification as I think it is ideal for classical. To my ears the Marantz neither adds nor subtracts from the signal and the Kefs are clean and analytical presenting instruments as they are in a good soundstage.

Chris

andreelis

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
For this type music you should strongly consider VALVE amplifier and i would recommend Proac speakers Studio or Response, any, used or new. I listen classical and jazz mainly, and valves makes it sound as real as possible. Proacs are very good match. You could buy this set up blind, and you would not regret about it. That's what i've done with my speakers. Good luck.

Covenanter said:

Chris

I was thinking pretty much along the same lines. If the OP is not going for an active / powered speaker set-up then I would have thought, for classical especially. that floorstanders would be the order of the day, if only for their extended frequency extremes.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
A very favourable review of the Linn Majik 109 stand mounts that used mostly all jazz and classical music ...

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/linn_majik_109_loudspeaker/index.html

These cost £935 (inc VAT) in the UK.

That leaves £1065 for an amplifier which should be plenty for a decent amp.

If you want to save up a little more money, then the matching Linn Majik-I integrated amplifier is £1630. (Can be found for less ex-demo obviously.)

Harbeth P3ESRs are about £1500 and I know that their designer (and company MD) would have no qualms about anyone using them with a good £500 amplifier (maybe the much talked about Exposure 1010 for £450 that our own 'Matthewpiano' is very happy playing his classical music on right now).

Yes it would be great to hear it all first. Whats the obstacle to that happening?

TRENDING THREADS