standard rca for turntable?

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I have Project Debut Carbon to phono stage of amp , both sides are rca with ground connector.
Can I upgrade the rca part of the cable and reuse the ground wire?
Tonearm cable start at 100pounds in Hong Kong......

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
boshk said:
I have Project Debut Carbon to phono stage of amp , both sides are rca with ground connector. Can I upgrade the rca part of the cable and reuse the ground wire? Forearm cable start at 100pounds in Hong Kong......

IMO there is nothing to be gained from upgrading the RCA cable on that TT, money better aside to save up for a better cartridge - a Nagaoka MP150 ?

+1

You can, of course, upgrade the phono cables and keep the earth wire (the earth wire itself is just that - a piece of wire) but I would agree with stevebrock that unless one of your cables is physically damaged there would be little reason for you to do so.

Assuming the TT came with the factory-fitted Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, then you are going to make a bigger improvement to it by replacing that cartridge instead.

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Guess that will be my future upgrade then. So far, I'm very happy with the 2m red since its my 1st TT.......until I get to hear the blue or naga mp150.

I'm also finding, I'm listening to my collection of err....6 LPs and CDs more than my Sonos or digital....

iMark

My next upgrade will probably be to get a 2M Blue stylus and put that in the 2M Red cartridge. The styli for these 2 carts are interchangeble and at least I won't have to replace the cartridge. I have done that in the past, but I find it a bit of a pain.

More information on the Ortofon website. I can't post the link because it triggers the spam filter.

I would buy the 2M Blue stylus and forget about upgrading the RCA cable.

The replacement 2M Red styus is EUR 75, the 2M Blue stylus is EUR 150. A new 2M Blue cartridge is EUR 200.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
boshk said:
Thanks. Guess that will be my future upgrade then. So far, I'm very happy with the 2m red since its my 1st TT.......until I get to hear the blue or naga mp150.

I'm also finding, I'm listening to my collection of err....6 LPs and CDs more than my Sonos or digital....

forget your cart then for the time being and buy lots of used vinyl instead

Yes, for the price of your cartridge or interconnects you can buy 3 and a bit new 180g LPs.
regular_smile.gif

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Agree with most of the above, a 2M Blue stylus will bring far more joy than upgrading the cables. But yes, if you fancy trying better cables, you can keep the earth section from your standard cable and upgrade signal carriers.

TRENDING THREADS