Stand Installation

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This is going to sound like a stupid question but what is the technique for attaching speakers to speaker stands?

I haven't bought speakers for about 12 years and I'm just about to hit the button on some B&W 685s on a pair of custom design stands. In my day I had to drill a hole in my Tannoy Mercury f1 speakers and physically screw them onto my old Atacama stands.

Is there a standard size and bolt hole these days or is it still careful screwing?

Cheers,

Dan.

A

Anonymous

I dunno about standard, but the fixing bushes in my B&W CM1s are M6, but check with B&W first.......

A

Anonymous

Not a bad idea although I will probably use the more conventional method :)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, I don't think drilling into your speakers is a good idea...
Blu-Tak works perfectly well, one of my speakers is next to a door and occasionally gets a little knock but the blu-tak keeps it firmly on the stand.

A

Anonymous

This is interesting as I thought a solid physical attachment to the stand was what made the difference to the sound. I would have assumed that more modern speakers had a standard set of bushes to bolt into.

A

Anonymous

Blu-tak, I don't have any bushings in my speakers and the thought of driving screws into the base is a non-starter. The only problem I've had with blu-tak is that it provides quite a robust connection, and I have had a couple of incidents where the 'uneducated' have tried to move my speakers and stands by grabbing the speakers (I think they believe they really are joined). These are the same sort that ask why I don't put the speakers 'out of the way' on the shelves.

John Duncan

Ooo I have that conversation twice a week. Is going to happen again when the kit comes out of storage once the builders have started (the other conversation I have is "where did all this blutak come from?"). Agreed that screwing one's speakers to stands is not a good idea........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts