Squeezebox classic or duet? Work as a WiFi bridge?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

first of all I want to thank you for this new forum, great idea!!  
emotion-1.gif

Now, I'm going down the NAS + Squeezebox route.

For the NAS I've just ordered a QNAP TS-109 II.

For the Squeezbox... the duet looks pretty and compact but more expensive than the classic. Is the analog out same quality for both?

A final question, I'm considering to add a Siemens M750 freeview tuner. If I connect it to the ethernet connection in the squeezebox, will it work as a wifi bridge/adapter for the Siemens?

Regards! 

A

Anonymous

Thanks Binman.

Some posts at slimdevices forum stated the Squeezebox could work as a bridge whilst other said opposite.

I've just checked ebay but reports the item has ended, I'll keep checking since it's a great price.

Cheers!ÿ

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I think the confusion comes as it acts as a wireless bridge only and not a wireless access point (WAP).

I'd recommend getting one, but its not exactly easy to set up / fix problems for someone whos not tech savvy. (I wouldn't say that on the slimdevices website as i'd get shot down!)

A

Anonymous

Binman:
I'd recommend getting one, but its not exactly easy to set up / fix problemsÿfor someone whos not tech savvy. (I wouldn't say that on the slimdevices website asÿi'dÿget shot down!)

No problem on the tech part (that's my job though wifi is pretty restricted in corporate networks ;-)ÿ

I've been through PS3-freeview-xbox forums these days and it's amazing how many so-called experts make stupid statements :(

A

Anonymous

Have you considered getting a diffrent device and using a small 7 odd inch TV as a control method?

I am trying to find such a device...namely something that has more than 4-5 rows of basic text and would allow me to access my media sotrage on a NAS...

Up to now, best I found is Infrant NV+ , with DiVCO TViX, + random 7.5" LCD screen...

Any suggestions?

A

Anonymous

I've considered other options including using an Ipod touch as a controller (via web) or a netbook as the server (Asus eee or the like), but to be honest I have so many doubts about different aspects and so little time to investigate that decided to take a more practical approach and go for the duet.

A

Anonymous

Well, the problem with all Media Center (et al) based systems is that you have a *pain in the a$$* operating system that needs more attention and care than my 6 month old son...you need to move to embedded or firmware based systems.

This is the beauty of the NASs like the NV+....no software....rare updates....it just works.....when was the last time you bought something that "just worked"....Apple and Xp based system have too many flaws...Linux means you never get another girlfirend...so take your pick...

A

Anonymous

Hello

I am new to this forum and home networking.

I have a Iomega home net work drive that runs with a lunix based firmware. Do you think I can install the slimserver on this as you will have done with the QNAP?

If not how easy was the QNAP to set up? Did you have to buy a seperate hard drive for it? Did you use a windows based PC to install the Slimserver onto the QNAP? Do you then store your MP3 on it and can you stream these to the Squeezebox without your PC being on?

What about the Linksys Network Storage Link NSLU2 NAS? I have seen from the links of the logitech website that these are difficult to install the slimserver on and the instructions, quite frankly scare me. http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer

Probablly some of these are stupid questions as I am not very technical.

I would really appreciate some help as I bought the Iomega network drive being assured it would work and I cannot get it to work. Maybe I need to follow this scary instructions in the link above?

Cheers

M

http://www.google.co.uk/product_url...o2lMwIh_uDsNAAAAAAAAAAAA&gl=uk&hl=en&sa=title

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts