Squeezebox on a NAS

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just bought a Squeezebox duet and while quite happy with it, I would rather not have to leave my PC or laptop on all the time to access music files. I've got a WD My World NAS drive and would ideally like to install the software for the Squeezebox on it so that I can turn the PCs off. However, looking at some forums it seems that this isn't possible without taking it apart and doing a hack - which i'm not capable of. So I can either leave the PC on or buy a NAS that allows the software to be installed.

Any ideas?

nads

Jammoe said:
I use a NetGear ReadyNAS Duo. Works fine.
same here, just read the info on Logitecs pages on how to update the software and make sure you download the correct version.

If you want to run spotify I belive you need a NAS with an Intel chip and you can do some Modding ( but you say no).

A

Anonymous

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-231761/squeezecenter-on-mybook-world-edition-ii#post-746988

A

Anonymous

Looks like i'll go for the Netgear then. Thanks for the info, I had seen the forum linked above but I don't want to get involved in all that as i'll only mess it up.

I've only had the WD for about a month so its a real pain as I haven't really got the cash to buy something costing about £200.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
>I would rather not have to leave my PC or laptop on all the time to access music files<

Does your PC have a Wake on LAN (WOL) feature - often enabled in the BIOS? My Server sleeps at < 5W and then powers-up automatically when a Squeezebox player requests music

pba_target

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Can thoroughly recommend Synology's Diskstation series, I've got a 410J & it's pretty neat, squeezeserver installed dead easily. Far better than my previous Buffalo effort. I understand the 210J is identical but with 2 bays rather than 4 if you only need that many.

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Although it should be noted that Synology updated it's website with the following at the end of January

Based on the Squeezebox Server requirement, it is suggested running Squeezebox Server on Synology DiskStations with RAM size of 256MB and above.

Although I've had no issues running Squeezebox Server 7.5.3 on my NAS which only has 128MB of RAM based o the above suggestion I probably wouldn't choose Synology if I were now purchasing my first NAS. QNAP's comparable 2-bay NAS have 256MB of RAM

A

Anonymous

ok so some alternatives to the Netgear then. If anyone could name me three - five suitable NAS drives that can run the squeezebox by order of ease to install I'd look into them with a view to buing asap. thanks again.

A

Anonymous

Scissor_digits said:

Great link, thanks. I wish i'd looked into this before I bought the WD. Thing is at the time I wasn't planning to sell my house so space wasn't a problem and I was more than happy to use CDs. The NAS was just for photo storage for my business. Everything changed now we're moving. I've now bought a Netgear ReadyNas Duo 2TB which I will use for the Squeezecentre and i'll keep the WD for photo storage only. I've another drive I use as a backup. Thanks again - might be back to ask how to install SC on the Netgear when it arrives!

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Definitely post again if you run into any issues.

Think i've still got the links somewhere that proved most useful for me. Had a couple of teething problems, but it's all running lovely now.

A

Anonymous

ok anyone got a guide on how to get the readynas to work with the squeezebox?

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Where are you at in the process?

Bad back means i'm here all evening. I knew getting into my thirties was gonna bring problems...

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Good point.

There is a version pre-loaded on the ReadyNas which, personally, I would go with in the first instance (especially if the OP doesn't have too much NAS experience, but i don't know if that's the case or not).

A

Anonymous

Thanks got it working although still having teething problems with the file system. Going to have a good look at it next week.

TRENDING THREADS