Looking for ultra cheap (temp) streamer...

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
with ethernet, wireless and reasonable collection of outputs, hopefully usb out. It's mainly to bridge the gap between my Qnap Nas to my Oppo HA-1 Pre-amp. I've had my Qnap for a fair few months and hate it, compared to my much simpler and easier to use Synology (but sadly this is limited re connections).

My Yamaha WXC-50 ceased on me, then after a three week wait whilst being repaired, the preamp section imploded and nearly took my speakers with it. the Yam is history now but the added expense of late, of both the Oppo (I like late night headphone listening) and my new found hobby of room measurement and attempts at corrrection (thanks to Gazzip and Ellis DJ;s thread) have left my piggy bank empty. One further thing the Yamaha WXC-50 was a total joy to use and now it's gone I really miss it.

Going back to the serach for a very cheap streamer, I've looked around on Amazon and the like I'm wondering if such a device exists with usb audio output. Ii it does I bet it costs a pretty penny... I asked in Maplin when at the local shopping centre, all they did was scratch their heads, useless. The seemingly go to streamer device of choice on here the Chromecast audio doesn't fit my needs re connectivity.

Am I missing an obvious device to suit my needs? My main priority is accessing my massive collection of music on my Nas, either of them and using the usb fed dac on the oppo which I assume cn only be acessed via usb connection. This I need to read up on, so far the instruction manual is unopened do to time restraints..

Any pointers as always much appreciated.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've heard yourself and others sing this units praises a lot and I will definitely be looking in to it.

I've asked this question of you all without really doing my homework myself, Been busy, not long out of hospital, the Oppo is a new arrival and I'm unsure if the DAC section is only accessable via the usb input or perhaps other digital inputs? I have the Minidsp gear to figure out which I think I will enjoy and in time I hope to upgrade to Dirac Live but the bottom line is I miss the easy accessibility of my music collection. It's about the music after all.

Thanks for the recommendation, will look in to it.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Depending on how you operate (android control etc) you could use a Chrpmecast audio for just 30 quid and BubbleUPNP to access all the music also. It's a little bit more cumbersome than a streamer in operation but it works, and if it's only a stop gap you are not to much out of pocket

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I asked yesterday in Maplin and it seemed according to the salemans that the Chromecast only had a 3.5mm jack output. That's not good to me.

Right, for some reason I seem to have become USB obsessed (maybe the mediction). Well I've finally opened the Opps's instruction manual up, any digital input will obviously be directed to the DAC, not sure how high the resolutions each will accomodate though. I have a lot of DSD files i enjoy.

So this is my cheaper than chips solution. Synology Nas via ethernet into my Minix Neo U1 box, optical out from that into my Oppo. On screen i've the Android version of Foobar 2000 as an interface. Cumbersome and slow admittedly but cheap and still very much a termporary solution.

Will look into the other options mentioned, thanks again.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Just FYI the 3.5mm jack out on the chromecast is also an optical digital out. Sorry, I know this piece of equipment doesn't suit your needs, and I am not trying to sell you one :)

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Re the Chromecast would I have been able to employ that within my system. I think of the 3.5 mm jack as simply being an output from a portable device to inear headphones. If it will work for me, I'd get one.

Sorry, really been under the weather lately so not all my marbles are accounted for. ;-)

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
due to wanting to intergrate my Qnap Nas into the fold. It has HMDI outputs and 4 usb slots. One front, for attactching hard drive etc, which I've employed but a further three at the rear and I was hoping that one at least would be an output. Tried the Oppo usb input with laptop lastnight, once driver loaded great but this is not the intended layout for my system. I want it tucked away controlled via an app, worst still a remote. If I want to get tactile it's the hands on approach to my vinyl. ;-)

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
There's so many options now. My wife was telling me that talking to her father (in his early 80s) that he liked a few songs when he was younger and the only time he'd get to hear them was if he was lucky enough to be at a venue (dance etc) and it got played. Now we're pissed off if we can't get a dsd file playing through a strawberry pie with a video in 4k :)

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
made me smile.

And for the record, my temporary remedy is half arsed and will be shorted lived. The minix feeding the optical signal refuses to carry the dsd/dsf files... nevermind. ;-)

My problem was that I intended to keep my old Yamaha WCX-50 but once that gave up the ghost (twice) it's left me somewhat short handed. I lways intended on getting the Oppo as I want a good headphone setup. Best get saving again! ;-)

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi, have you considered a Raspeberry Pi running piCorePlayer? Given you'd be using usb, all you'd need is the Pi itself, a small microSD card, microUSB charger and a case.

There's a DSD plugin for logitech media server, airplay is supported and you get to use the excellent control apps designed for Squeezebox players such as iPeng (iOS) or Orange Squeeze (Android).

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I think I've found a winner! Mark, I saw the iEast Soundstream the other day on Amazon, lord knows how I let it slip me by then. It fits the bill perfectly! Cheap easy to hide away and the perfect bridge between my Nas and the Oppo. Brilliant!

With regards to a Raspberry Pi solution, I feel that's perhaps something to look into later. Sounds interesting but I fear I'd be a little out of my depth having zero experience.

Thanks all.

TRENDING THREADS