Synology DS213air as a wifi-extender?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello 21st century!

I've ordered a Devialet 110 amp, which has ethernet and wifi access, so it would be logical to go the rip-and-stream route. As it can play internet radio and Spotify too, I want to connect the amp to the internet.

The thing is: our house has no wired ethernet, and the wifi coverage is only so-and-so. The neatest solution IMO would be a wifi extender in the living room. And as I need a NAS too, I wondered if the DS213air could take care of both duties. Or would a NAS (wired to the router) and a separate wifi extender be the better solution?

My wife is not happy at all with my new purchase ("why a new amp? The old one wasn't broken, was it?"), so I need it to be perfect at once. The amp won't get a second chane to make a first impression...

Cheers for all input!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi DocG,

i've been reading just know some things about the Devialet 110, and i've read that the streamer board is optional, did you buy it?

If don't you have to use the DS213 NAS as a streamer using the DS Audio App in the PC, Android or iOS devices, and connect the NAS and amp throught the USB out put in the NAS, and in that case you need a good wi-fi signal as well.

If you did buy the Streamer board you will need to connect the NAS to the amp throught a ethernet cable, you can do it strait ( NAS/amp without passing through the wi fi hub) but in that case you will not have a shared NAS inside your house...

it is advisable to wire all the connections, a Flac file can reach 40/50 MB and if you don't have o good and fast wi fi, drop outs in the music can occur.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Outlaw,

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
i've been reading just now some things about the Devialet 110, and i've read that the streamer board is optional, did you buy it?

Yeah, I did. Would have been silly not to buy it, for 1 EUR extra (promo till end of September).

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
it is advisable to wire all the connections, a Flac file can reach 40/50 MB and if you don't have o good and fast wi fi, drop outs in the music can occur.

Definitely! In our new house, we'll have all the ethernet we will ever need... But unfortunately, there is no wired ethernet in the current house (which we rent until our house is ready). So for now, we'll have to do with wifi or power-LAN... It should be fine with 320 kbps files (which I'll be using for the time being). Hence my question...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts