Squash Balls

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
I've seen a lot of talk of people using squash balls for isolation. I designed and printed some mounts a while back to use the balls to quieten my 3D printer, and they work quite well. It's no longer resonating through the table it's sat on.

49713407623_dbe30376ba_c.jpg

49713935496_a848339020_c.jpg

49714252347_ee9aee7aab_c.jpg

I have a few iterations... If anybody has a 3D printer and wants the .stl files, let me know and I'll upload them somewhere.

Reactions: insider9

abacus

I remember squash and tennis balls being recommended in the 70s (Although then they sliced then in half and used them that way) which led to manufactures making special isolation feet as an option, (Naturally overpriced and using special ingredients (Although not as nonsensical as the overpriced magic crap sold today) however a good rubber car mat will also give you good isolation if you are suffering from vibration issues.

Bill

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Not tempted to damp it further with lead weights?!
I don't think adding weight would be of any benefit. It could even make it worse.
The noise was due to vibrations from the printer resonating through the wooden table it's sat on. Adding the squash balls reduced the noise by ~25dB. Adding weights would probably just move the frequency.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts