Spotify streaming set up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Folks, I’m a bit of a novice at all this so any advice appreciated.

I’ve been well impressed with Spotify – so much so that it’s inspired me to ditch my 5 year old bog standard hi-fi and take my first step down the separates path. My budget is about £500 – I have the wireless network and laptop – that’s it. My plan is to buy...

1) Airport Express + Airfoil - £100

2) Wharfedale 9.1 speakers - £120

3) Soundstage speaker stands - £70

4) Cambridge Audio Azur 540 V2 Amp - £160

Any thoughts? Firstly, will this work? Secondly, will it produce decent sound quality? I’m streaming Spotify at 160 kb/s so don’t need the greatest system in the world.

A

Anonymous

Should work. The AirPort will give you the conveniece of wireless streaming but won't improve the sound (compared to audio cable from the laptop) unless you buy an external DAC and put it between the AirPort and the amp. You can always do this at a later stage though.

If I were you I would consider ditching the AirPort altogether and put that money towards better speakers -- you can always add AirPort and DAC later. Also don't forget to budget for cables. You don't need to spend loads. I would recommend picking up a WHF and pick some cables in the right price range from the listings/ratings at the back.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the help...

This *may* be a stupid question, but if I ditch the Airport doesn't that do away with the streaming part of the plan? My real goal here is to get Spotify playing on something better (louder!) than laptop speakers....

A

Anonymous

you would have to plug the laptop into the amp, so not the most convinient if you want to use it at the same time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts