Optical USB DAC for streaming Spotify using an Airport Express

HalloweenHead

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I do a lot of listening streaming Spotify premium.

Currently my setup is; Spotify desktop app running on a laptop (Windows 8.1), streamed over the WiFi to a first generation Airport Express using Airfoil, 3.5mm jack output on the Airport Express into RCA inputs my amp.

This all works very nicely, I can control what I’m playing over the WiFi using my phone etc.

Since Spotify is probably the source I use most frequently I have been thinking about adding an outboard DAC into the chain to see if I can improve on whatever’s in the AE. I would be adding this between the AE and the amp using the AE’s optical out.

I have also been thinking about picking up an old PC to put on the network and use as a standalone Spotify streaming box. This could live close to the hifi thus eliminating the need for the AE and Airfoil. I could also store high quality files on here too. If I did this I’d likely require a DAC with a USB input.

So, I’m after a DAC with both optical and USB inputs, and after buying new speakers recently my budget is probably in the €250 (~£180) region tops.

I’ve been browsing a few sites and frankly the number of devices on offer is a bit overwhelming. I’m definitely at the cheaper end of the DAC market, but is there anything to be said for buying something mid-range used?

If anyone has any recommendations for such a setup I’d love to hear them.

Here are 3 options I’ve come across on various sites, would anyone care to comment on their bang for buck, can they be found cheaper elsewhere, better alternatives at this price point?

A new Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 - ~€180 / £129.95

An ex-demo Arcam rDAC, wireless version - €250 / ~£180

A used Matrix mini-i - €200 - €250 / £144 - £180

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I feel the biggest improvement you could make right now is to find a way not to use Airfoil.

I use a similar setup, but with a Macbook Pro. The single biggest improvement was when Airplay was implemented globally in the OS and I no longer needed to use Airfoil to stream Spotify, big improvement. However I have to say I do not know how this relates to a PC environment.

In your situation I would buy a Google Fire TV to use as a dedicated Spotify server using the Spotifiy Connect system. With an inexpensive dac I think this would be a serious improvement in the way that a good midprice dac (bought used) would not.

HalloweenHead

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much for your post, some very interesting ideas in there. Especially, that you noticed a difference between native AirPlay and Airfoil. I've been using the AE with Airfoil for years now, definitely had my money's worth.

I hadn't considered using something like the Fire TV, I see it has an optical out. It would indeed be a neat little solution. Have you tried this yourself?

2 things I'll need to read into: Whether the Spotify app on the Fire can indeed be controlled using Spotify Connect, and whether it supports the high quality streaming.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I just entered a reply and the website dumped me out, again......*dash1*

Spotify Connect is a function that is built into streaming devices. It pulls the data direct from Spotify with the app or client on your mobile/computer acting as a remote control. Very tidy. You might need a screen to set it up, but once this is done you should be able to control everything from your mobile/pc.

Spotify is of course a compressed/lossy Ogg Vorbis daterstream, roughly the equivilent of a 320mbit/s mp3 or AAC stream. On other sources I think the Fire TV can do better than that.

HalloweenHead

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
This forum is the strangest layout I've ever come across, anyway...

Yes I'm already using Connect to control the desktop app via the Android app. It works pretty well.

The Amazon box could easily be setup on a TV I'm sure and then removed with just Spotify left open on it. It's pretty much akin to how I was planning on using a small form factor PC. With the PC I'd be able to remote desktop onto it to make any adjustments as needed though...

All food for thought. I think the Cambridge DacMagic 100 is looking like a contender to pair with something then.

Unless there's a better value similarly specced alternative I've yet to come across?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
At current prices the Fire TV and Dacmagic 100 can be had for about.£200, great vfm.

I have a £25 fiio D3 I an not using, so would probably use that.

Except I want to see Apple's streaming solution and new ATV replacement before I commit.

daveh75

HalloweenHead said:
This forum is the strangest layout I've ever come across, anyway...

Yes I'm already using Connect to control the desktop app via the Android app. It works pretty well.

The Amazon box could easily be setup on a TV I'm sure and then removed with just Spotify left open on it. It's pretty much akin to how I was planning on using a small form factor PC. With the PC I'd be able to remote desktop onto it to make any adjustments as needed though...

All food for thought. I think the Cambridge DacMagic 100 is looking like a contender to pair with something then.

Unless there's a better value similarly specced alternative I've yet to come across?

Have you considered a Raspberry Pi?

It makes a superb headless server, and connected to an USB DAC, or using one of the many DAC boards available will sound as good as anything else.

HalloweenHead

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
No, I haven't looked into the DIY route at all - could be fun.

Can the likes of the newer Wolfson chips be had/used for such projects?

Here's an even cheaper alternative to a PC/AFTV/ATV, an Android mini PC,

Edit: the link I tried to include activated some kind of spam filter. Really? it's just a Word Press blog... Google the following including quotes to find it.

"the-last-puzzle-piece-an-android-mini-pc-as-spotify-server/"

HalloweenHead

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Bought a used Arcam rDAC and a used Acer Aspire Revo mini PC.

USB from the PC to the DAC. PC launches Spotify on start up. Controled using connect. No need for a monitor, can remote desktop to it if I need to do anything or use Foobar.

Very happy with it all. DAC, PC and all cables for under €250. Pretty good I think.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts