Spotify/DAC

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

Just to throw something else into the mix - I know you're concerned about the size of the Unico - maybe you should look at the Cambridge 840C - excellent DAC that you can plug into, extremely well thought of (though not necessarily here), 360mm deep (bit deeper than the Arcs, admittedly).

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Just to throw something else into the mix - I know you're concerned about the size of the Unico - maybe you should look at the Cambridge 840C - excellent DAC that you can plug into, extremely well thought of (though not necessarily here), 360mm deep (bit deeper than the Arcs, admittedly).

This was my first piece of advice John but Joel wasn't interested.

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:Just to throw something else into the mix - I know you're concerned about the size of the Unico - maybe you should look at the Cambridge 840C - excellent DAC that you can plug into, extremely well thought of (though not necessarily here), 360mm deep (bit deeper than the Arcs, admittedly).

This was my first piece of advice John but Joel wasn't interested.

Sorry, missed that.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Just to throw something else into the mix - I know you're concerned about the size of the Unico - maybe you should look at the Cambridge 840C - excellent DAC that you can plug into, extremely well thought of (though not necessarily here), 360mm deep (bit deeper than the Arcs, admittedly).

Too much of a sideways move JD. I have had the Unico measured and it is 40cm deep. And I have 40cm on my rack. But I have a couple of wooden upstands at the back so just checking where the cables go before I commit

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:

Too much of a sideways move JD. I have had the Unico measured and it is 40cm deep. And I have 40cm on my rack. But I have a couple of wooden upstands at the back so just checking where the cables go before I commit

Joel, once you are up and running, please rip "Teardrop" to lossless and send it straight to the DAC and let us know what you think?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:JoelSim:

Joel, once you are up and running, please rip "Teardrop" to lossless and send it straight to the DAC and let us know what you think?

I will do Stevie Gerrardas

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
All measured and it should fit in all regards. Just.

My new Unison Research Unico CDE shall be purchased in the morning for a song. Forgive the pun.

Can't wait.

Roll on the Plinius amp next year lol!

ÿ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
But the CD37 is "chocolately smooth" and fits your old rack and looks like the old CDP

And a DAC too?!

The sky is falling.

It'll be Naim next. You just wait and see.

The irony is that I now have a CD player that I like, and I have decided to keep vinyl, and have an analogue FM tuner arriving tomorrow. Were it not for the Beresford DAC and laptop, my system would be more 'old skool' than Joel's by the end of the week!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
But the CD37 is "chocolately smooth" and fits your old rack and looks like the old CDP

And a DAC too?!

The sky is falling.

It'll never be a Naim. Not my bag. Nor a Cyrus, although I did consider the xtse/dacx for about 5 mins earlier in the week before I thought of Harrods.

I haven't heard it, but I've read enough to be fairly sure it's going to work for me. If not then it's costing me £1,375, mint ex demo, delivered with wooden remote ie pretty close to half price with a full warranty.

ÿ

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:

And a DAC too?!

The sky is falling.

The irony is that I now have a CD player that I like, and I have decided to keep vinyl, and have an analogue FM tuner arriving tomorrow. Were it not for the Beresford DAC and laptop, my system would be more 'old skool' than Joel's by the end of the week!

ÿ

And in a couple of weeks' time I shall have Spotify/internet radio streaming through the DAC on my new CDP as well as a valve CDP.

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:No, you have Airport, which is a wireless card to join a wireless network. Airport Express joins the network too and accepts streaming music from a PC or Mac - nominally only from iTunes, but if you buy Airfoil ($25), you can stream any audio source, not just iTunes. Airport Express has a headphone jack audio out (so you can plug it straight into your stereo, and hence is a good starting point), but the jack socket doubles as an optical digital out, which can plug into a DAC.

I've just downloaded Airfoil and it hasn't asked me to pay any money.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS