Spotify/DAC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:Gerrardasnails:JoelSim:
What are the DAC contenders, forgive me but I only really have heard of VDAC, DACMagic, Beresford.

Would I be better trading in my CDP for a different one with separate DSC such as Cyrus XDAC/Xtse?

ÿ

I'm pretty sure that your 192 doesn't have a digital input and therefore no access to it's DAC for external use. If you were to get a cd player with digital in, you should try the CA 840C which I would expect to be better than the 192 (but, and I'm being serious, as you love the Arcam sound, you might not think so). The Cyrus sound will surely be complete departure from your preferred liquid smooth Arcam sound. You could at least get the 840C, play with it at home for a couple of weeks and then send it back for a full refund if you are not impressed. Otherwise, I reckon you might need to spend £1500 plus for a great cd player with digital in.

In an ideal world the DAC would be an improvement to my CDP, and I think the CA would be more of a sideways step. At this level I think the money has to be upped. A new CDP with digital in for the DAC would be excellent.

ÿ

I agree. And for what you need and the sound you like, the Cairn Fog 3 would seem a good bet (I've not heard it - going by reviews).

A

Anonymous

Go buy yourself a second hand Chord 64 DAC (much sought after at about £1k), and use an airport express plugged into it to stream music from your magic.

If your current CD has digital/ optical out you can plug this into the 64 and I promise you'll be amazed by the uplift in sound quality.

idc

I'm just ging to suggest my own simple, small and relatively cheap set up. A 3 metre USB cable (£10) - FubarII USBDAC (£77 from Firestone) (upgradable with The Supplier PSU at £73.50) and phonos (as much or a little as you want) to amp. So if you are getting Premium which was £99 for the year, you can do the lot for £250 odd, or under if you don't go with the Supplier at first.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
crimsondonkey:

Go buy yourself a second hand Chord 64 DAC (much sought after at about £1k), and use an airport express plugged into it to stream music from your magic.

If your current CD has digital/ optical out you can plug this into the 64 and I promise you'll be amazed by the uplift in sound quality.

Funnily enough I was looking into this last night. There are a couple around at about a grand.

I will look at the Cairn Fog too.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:crimsondonkey:

Funnily enough I was looking into this last night. There are a couple around at about a grand.

I've said on here before that my next DAC (when the kids are both at school!) would be the 64. However, that's because I don't use a cdp. If I did, I'd get a great on with digital in.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:JoelSim:crimsondonkey:

I've said on here before that my next DAC (when the kids are both at school!) would be the 64. However, that's because I don't use a cdp. If I did, I'd get a great on with digital in.

I'm in a complete quandry on what to do.

DAC? CDP with digital in? MS250? Chordette Gem? Or leave the money in the bank.

One thing's for sure, all the decent CDPs are much more expensive than they were a couple of months ago.

John Duncan

You love your Arcam kit - why upset that balance by getting a CD player that may not sit sonically (and certainly won't sit aesthetically) with what you have and like already? So I think a DAC is a straightforward and relatively cheap way forward. Some on here who've tried it have said that the cheaper budget DACs can't match a 192, but I'd suggest that they'll come pretty damn close, and furthermore you're only going to use it for Spotify, nothing else (which maxes out at 320).

For your professed requirement, a Chordette Gem is perfect. But it's (relatively) expensive and you're totally limiting yourself to one source, which you might come to regret. So I'd seriously consider Airport Express and a standard DAC...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
What about an Arcam MS250? Would that work for what I want? I could then get rid of the CDP and tuner rather than adding another box.

John Duncan

Just trying to check whether it has an optical in - currently looks like a 'no', which is disappointing as frankly it's a bargain at the moment, seen it at £1,100 new on the 'bay...

EDIT - looks like 'no', but can't find a manual or a big enough photo to be sure...

daveh75

JohnDuncan:Just trying to check whether it has an optical in - currently looks like a 'no', which is disappointing as frankly it's a bargain at the moment, seen it at £1,100 new on the 'bay...

EDIT - looks like 'no', but can't find a manual or a big enough photo to be sure...No the MS250 doesn't have optical/coaxial in's, just outs.

The Manual is available on Arcam's german site(in english) Here

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:What about an Arcam MS250? Would that work for what I want? I could then get rid of the CDP and tuner rather than adding another box.Not really as it doesn't have digital inputs. I have to disagree with JD too about sticking with Arcam and getting a Gem. From what I've learned about you Joel, you won't be happy unless you get a wow feeling. The Cairn cdp should blow away your cdp AND give sensational sound from 320kbps Spotify. I think it looks a bit Arcam like anyway. No need for an extra box (however small) and you could sell your 192 to go towards the price. This will offer you future upgrade potential also. I would love to hear your thoughts on JD's Dacmagic though.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:What about an Arcam MS250? Would that work for what I want? I could then get rid of the CDP and tuner rather than adding another box.Not really as it doesn't have digital inputs. I have to disagree with JD too about sticking with Arcam and getting a Gem. From what I've learned about you Joel, you won't be happy unless you get a wow feeling. The Cairn cdp should blow away your cdp AND give sensational sound from 320kbps Spotify. I think it looks a bit Arcam like anyway. No need for an extra box (however small) and you could sell your 192 to go towards the price. This will offer you future upgrade potential also. I would love to hear your thoughts on JD's Dacmagic though.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site

daveh75

JoelSim:
How about a Unison Research Unico, would that work? it has a coaxial input.

Macs and Airport Express only have optical outputs,though you could get a coax to optical converter to get round it.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Joel,

I'd echo an earlier poster in going for a Chord 64DAC & Airport Express combo.

Btw, I've got the same CDP as you and I have to say the streamed music using the DAC trumps it.

Sounds excellent with non-lossless music such as Spotify too.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:JoelSim:

Macs and Airport Express only have optical outputs,though you could get a coax to optical converter to get round it.

Is that easy to get Dave?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:Joel, I'd echo an earlier poster in going for a Chord 64DAC & Airport Express combo. Btw, I've got the same CDP as you and I have to say the streamed music using the DAC trumps it. Sounds excellent with non-lossless music such as Spotify too.

I'm loathe to get another box as my rack is full and there's no space except for on top of my CDP, so I'd rather keep the number of boxes down a little by trading the CDP if at all possible. The majority of my listening will be CDP based anyway.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:daveh75:JoelSim:

Is that easy to get Dave?

Yes, very.

There are cheaper alternatives but here is one option.

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/eshop_products.set/ref/2457/qed-optical-and-coaxial-convertor-plus-booster/display.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts