Spotify/DAC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:JoelSim:

So I need a Coaxial cable and an optical cable?

and the converter yes.

The converter is in the CDP, it becomes a tube stage/DAC at the slide of a switch. So I would need a method of attaching the AE to the CDP coaxial and then I think that works, doesn't it?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:Gerrardasnails:JoelSim:

and the converter yes.

The converter is in the CDP, it becomes a tube stage/DAC at the slide of a switch. So I would need a method of attaching the AE to the CDP coaxial and then I think that works, doesn't it?

No, I meant the optical to coaxial converter. You would have an optical cable going from the AE to the optical/coaxial converter and then from the other side, a coaxial cable going into the CDP.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:JoelSim:Gerrardasnails:JoelSim:

and the converter yes.

No, I meant the optical to coaxial converter. You would have an optical cable going from the AE to the optical/coaxial converter and then from the other side, a coaxial cable going into the CDP.

OK cheers.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Here is the back of the CDP, Does that show if it's optical or coaxial?

unico_cde_back.jpg

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
So all-in-all I need:

- Airport Express

- Airfoil

- optical lead to go from AE to QED converter

- Coaxial lead to go from converter to coaxial in of CDP

Bloomin complicated...

Oh and a subscription to Spotify to get 320kbps streaming

What about internet radio? Will my Macbook Air stream this to the above equipment.

Do I need a man to plumb all this in, or will it be fairly obvious?

And then I presume that once I've switched the switch at the back of the CDP for a listening session, the music will flow through the CD selection on the amp?

And then if I get an iPhone somewhere in the future, I can use this to stream things like Spotify/internet radio too using the same equipment and process?

daveh75

Yep, that's what you'll need,yes you will also be able to stream internet radio with the use of Airfoil.

It's all pretty obvious where it all goes, Optical cable from AE to QED converter, Digital Coaxial cable from QED converter to CDP coaxial input.

You may have fun setting up the AE though. It either works straight out of the box with no problems, or as some have found,it can be a complete PITA to get up and running, though JD or the Prof will be able to advise if you do have issues.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all your help fellas.

So much for wireless, this will add to the count somewhat!

Does the AE plus straight into the wall socket?

Why do I need a booster such as on the QED, is there not a cable that has optical one end and toslink the other?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
unico_cde_back-2-1.jpg

Joel, just for future reference, in the WHF review of the cdp's, they mention which, if any, digital inputs the cdp has. The Cairn cdp I mentioned has 2 coaxial and 1 optical (if I remember rightly).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:JoelSim:

unico_cde_back-2-1.jpg

Joel, just for future reference, in the WHF review of the cdp's, they mention which, if any, digital inputs the cdp has. The Cairn cdp I mentioned has 2 coaxial and 1 optical (if I remember rightly).

LOL but it's over my budget and I can't find an ex-demo unit anywhere. I've managed to find a Unison Research CDE for £1,495 and two CD models for £995. All £1k below RRP. Needless to say I've made an offer on the CDE, but not heard anything yet. If I don;t like it I can always sell on for the same sort of price.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:Does the AE plug straight into the wall socket?

Yup.

JoelSim:Why do I need a booster such as on the QED, is there not a cable that has optical one end and toslink the other?

Cos an optical signal is transmitted via light waves, whereas a coaxial signal is electrical. So the QED box converts the light signal into an electrical signal.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:

Yup.

JoelSim:Why do I need a booster such as on the QED, is there not a cable that has optical one end and toslink the other?

Cos an optical signal is transmitted via light waves, whereas a coaxial signal is electrical. So the QED box converts the light signal into an electrical signal.

And no doubt I will have to invest heavily in decent cables

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:professorhat:

Yup.

And no doubt I will have to invest heavily in decent cables

I wouldn't say heavily. Ebay. There are not that many expensive optical cables - Chord's Optichord (circa £40) is fine and then coaxial - you can get a stunner on ebay for £50. I got my Clearer Audio Silver for about £80 and it retails for almost double.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QED-qunex-sr75-digital-co-axial_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a2140Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem3ca436f337QQitemZ260453102391QQptZUKQ5fComputingQ5fCablesConnectorsQ5fRLQQsalenotsupported

Or more your style Joel - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chord-Company-Signature-Digital-Interconnect_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a2140Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem27aa7a4e7dQQitemZ170363866749QQptZUKQ5fComputingQ5fCablesConnectorsQ5fRLQQsalenotsupported

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chord-Company-Optichord-Optical-Cable-New-1-Mrt_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a2140Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem58822cafecQQitemZ380141088748QQptZUKQ5fComputingQ5fCablesConnectorsQ5fRLQQsalenotsupported

A

Anonymous

Joel,

won't add to the already great conversation in terms of what DAC / CDP / AMP options you've got, as you seem to have had great advice already. At the top of the thread you mentioned having a Macbook Air, this can only output digital audio over USB or over wifi using AirFoil, I think a few people had suggested that you might be able to go optical out on the macbook air, sadly you can't the headphone jack is analogue only. I think you are going to stream wirelessly anyway, so this is not too much of an issue.

Spotify is fab, great for exploring new artists, have fun

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
zzgavin:
Joel,

won't add to the already great conversation in terms of what DAC / CDP / AMP options you've got, as you seem to have had great advice already. At the top of the thread you mentioned having a Macbook Air, this can only output digital audio over USB or over wifi using AirFoil, I thinkÿ a few people had suggested that you might be able to go optical out on the macbook air, sadly you can't the headphone jack is analogue only. I think you are going to stream wirelessly anyway, so this is not too much of an issue.

Spotify is fab, great for exploring new artists, have fun

ÿ

You're right zzg, not many connectors on an Air. I don't want leads across the living room anyway.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts