spotify bit perfect?

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi Anderson.

Info:

Windows 7 laptop.

Optical toslink realtek audio output to cambridge audio dac 100.

This is my first time at the streaming game. Just exploring as an option to cut down on my cd buying which is getting out of hand. It has to sound as good as my J River with flac playback. Spotify as is does not sound as good, was hoping that bit perfect might be the answer.

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I already have the cambridge asio driver. I don't use usb as optical sounds much better. USB on this dac isn't implemented all that well. There's no feature on spotify to choose asio or wasapi anyway.

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Spotify always defaults to windows audio (direct sound). I can't get it to work with either cambridge asio or realtek wasapi. Ideally usb would be the best but it sounds like s**t with this dac for some reason. Maybe there's an issue with noise on my usb socket. Who knows.

Anyway i've done some research online and i can only conclude that none of the streaming services support bit perfect audio so until they have this feature i'll stick to j river.

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your help Anderson much appreciated.

I've found out if you right click on speaker icon select playback devices then right click on defaualt audio device then advanced you can then select 16bit/44.1khz in shared mode. This means spotify is not being resampled at another rate and is essentialy bit-perfect. All windows sound schemes should be switched off as well and volume sliders up full. This works for win 7 don't know about other opp systems.

Hope win 10 is the same!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chunky70 said:
Thanks for your help Anderson much appreciated.

I've found out if you right click on speaker icon select playback devices then right click on defaualt audio device then advanced you can then select 16bit/44.1khz in shared mode. This means spotify is not being resampled at another rate and is essentialy bit-perfect.

Leaving aside that it's using a lossy codec of course...

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:

Agreed: given that the codec has already thrown away lots of bits of data from the original recording, trying to get Spotify bit-perfect does seem to have an element of 'rearranging the deck-chairs on the Titanic' (and other rather more vulgar metaphors) about it.

iMark

spiny norman said:
The_Lhc said:

Agreed: given that the codec has already thrown away lots of bits of data from the original recording, trying to get Spotify bit-perfect does seem to have an element of 'rearranging the deck-chairs on the Titanic' (and other rather more vulgar metaphors) about it.

I don't agree. I stream Spotify from my Mac (using Airfoil) or iPad to the stereo via an Airport Express to our Cambridge Audio DACMagic. Spotify Premium at 320 kbps sounds pretty good. The streaming through the Airplay protocol is lossless. With lossless streaming of a lossy codec at least you don't lose any more bits.

I hope that some time soon though Spotify will finally switch to a lossless codec.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts