Spotify and current download listening . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
What about the latest listening on Spotify, or any other download streaming facility.

Since I've subscribed to Spotify it has changed the way I listen to music. I can create a 'Play-list' for easy accessible music, 'never mind the quality feel the width'. This evening I did some digging it the arcive of 50's and 60's music. Accessing Carl Perkins, Bo Diddley, Little Richard and Chuck Berry to name a few. Listening to the grand fathers of modern rock music . . . performers I was to young to appreciate.

The bonus for me is a realism that is in these recordings, very little messing with the tape, you get it warts and all . . . not to many warts.

Currently listening to Frankie Laine, one for Hazel, its Horlicks time.

CJSF

Fred_Barker

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
CJSF said:
What about the latest listening on Spotify, or any other download streaming facility. Since I've subscribed to Spotify it has changed the way I listen to music.

Me too! As much as I love Hi*fi stuff, its really all about the music...

I keep meaning to start a Spotify Playlist to Share Thread - but as you had already started one, albeit a while back, let's see what new music we can discover by adding our recommendations here:-

Spotify Playlists -
(i) - Bloodsucker (ii) - Dancing (iii) - Ravenheart More soon...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes its changed my listening and buying habits to. Also Rdio is similar but has a few different albums.

I just did a test today with Bob Marley's Exodus which I have on cd, played it on cd player (Marantz 63SE, played on Spotify free version and then Rdio free, well I could not tell the difference and that is just with the headphones out of computer into amp with a 5m cable. Maybe the cd had slightly more clarity.

Fred_Barker

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Follow Fogey FM on Spotify and enjoy some banging tracks recommended for your listening pleasure!!

[fogey - Noun - A person, typically an old one, who is considered to be old-fashioned or conservative in attitude or tastes.]

190 tracks: Crackers

Enjoy!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been doing a lot of fidling with the hifi recently, mainly changing valve types. I seem to have reached a sweet spot with Spotify, amp, DAC and speakers . . . wonderfully musical.

The latest find is 'the Ventures', goes back to the late 50's and into the 60's, US answer to the 'Shadows' . . . or was it Ventures first? No mater, great music, with tunes like; Telstar, Apache, Yellow Bird, Ghost Riders in the Sky, Walk Dont Run . . . Memories of my youth and making electric guitars in wood work lessons.

Its Holicks hour, Hazel and I have just finished listening to the 1959 BBC recording of Paul Robeson's October 4th broadcast in that year, our tasts are very ecclectic.

By the way, the Ventures need a bit of volume, I've had them bouncing off the walls today!!!! . . . bringing out some great rifts, excelent bass lines and drums. Very simple recording technics of the day are to advantage, very pure, bell like, un messed with sound on some of the tracks.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had a bit more of a think about 'why I am enjoying Spotify so much'? As stated above, I think it has something to do the full 'valve sound' . . . ?

However, I've always thought Spotify was OK'ish in my system from day one. But it has changed with changes that have been made, indicating it is a variable affected by the rest of the system?

Then it dawned, I have a dedicated single source HRT DAC through which my computer music is routed to the valve amp. The tiny HRT was reviewed as very good, it is self powered from its USB connection, no additional mains supply . . . Has one achived a synergy in the system, an ideal match witth all the components working as one . . . ??

CJSF

Fred_Barker

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
CJSF said:
Its Holicks hour, Hazel and I have just finished listening to the 1959 BBC recording of Paul Robeson's October 4th broadcast in that year, our tasts are very ecclectic.

I'm with you on the Horlicks (yum last night) and The Ventures are brilliant - still sound so good! - As for Paul Robeson - I can remember his voice booming out on my dads old, huge, "green eye" wireless with 12" speaker, back in the day - I 'taped' a song of his (Paulo, not my dad) on a Grundig once and played it back at a higher speed, sounded normal then!! haha!!

Regards: Fred

tounra

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
Love Spotify!, the sound is excellent, and I must imagining things, because I think Spotify sounds better than iTunes, a bit darker and fuller.

I can not live without it, but I am not sure how long it will last, they aren't making enough money to keep it going...

FYI, I switched back from Spotify Premium to Spotify Unlimited, because I simply cannot hear (much) differences between MP3's at 160kb/ps rate and 320kb/ps and the advantage of unlimited over premium is the faster streaming, never hickups when the internet is ocassionally slower.

Fred_Barker

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
tounra said:
Love Spotify!, the sound is excellent, and I must imagining things, because I think Spotify sounds better than iTunes, a bit darker and fuller.

It does sound very good to me too and I'm only on Spotify free. I stream from laptop via Airfoil to Apple TV. Also the tracks all sound the same volume, whereas with iTunes I have to apply iVolume to make my digital tracks the same volume as Sound Check doesn't do such a great job!!

Sharing Playlists with other music lovers has allowed me to discover many new, previously unheard of by myself, bands!!

A

Anonymous

Loving the ventures. I'm only using the free spotify also and agree sq very good.

Running old win 7 netbook into hrt streamer 2 into brio r. Very happy

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
tounra said:
I can not live without it, but I am not sure how long it will last, they aren't making enough money to keep it going...

Same here, but to my shame, if the much-rumoured Apple iRadio streaming-service is even nearly as good in terms of catalogue, price and facilities, it's likely I will migrate. :oops:

Fred_Barker

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
tounra said:

Same here, but to my shame, if the much-rumoured Apple iRadio streaming-service is even nearly as good in terms of catalogue, price and facilities, it's likely I will migrate. :oops:

I'm quite looking forward to see how iRadio pans out - no reason we can't use both I suppose...

I have tried Google Music, Amazon Music, Grooveshark, Rdio etc. etc - using web based players don't cut it for me like installed progs like Spotify or iTunes. I think the Smart Playlists in iTunes make good self-updating playlist, that can be imported into spotify - happy days!!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Fred_Barker said:
I'm quite looking forward to see how iRadio pans out - no reason we can't use both I suppose...

No but what I meant when I said I would migrate is that I'm not paying for two premium streaming services, I'd cancel Spotify.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
very impressed with spotify in genneral, although i am not sure I can here much differnece between premium and free, however my ca 351 cd player sounds superior in the same system. Spotify is really mid fi , not hifi

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
If you like spotify you may want to try Rdio which is similar but no ads and slightly wider range of music, its free for 6 months and then same price as spotify, sound quality about the same.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts