Ra-making more connections, the Croft can move on . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This is a quote from my previous thread 'remake your connections':

. . . "Ho-hum, what I'm not doing, is go through all that back tracking again. My assessment of the Croft stands as I listened to it with CD, BBC Radio 4 and Spotify, sounded great, and it did not hum when using the TT either. Stands to reason the unplug, reconnect terminal cleaning will have a similar positive effect on either amp."

Me being me, I was uneasy, the music from the computer sources was to good, the TT was OK but . . . ? as I say, I was not convinced. So this weekend, not feeling so good, needed to rest, I did a bit more listening, quite a lot in fact. All sorts, including digging out some vinyl of my late Fathers that has not been played for many a year.

Still wondering, I could not put my finger on this irritation, an itch I could not scratch. One was not jumping up and down making loads of adjustments, just thinking, listening and enjoying . . . 'but that itch' . . . ?

Then the penny dropped, the moving coil transformer, fundamental first connection from the TT . . . tucked away, out of sight out of mind, re made the connections, better, much better. More thinking, I had been blaming the valves, it seems it has been the connections all along. So logically, one should try the last valve change which was the single phase spliter, it had showed an improvement and then went edgy on me? Putting it back whilst Hazel was out of the room, she did not know I has replaced it . . . Chose a record she liked and new well, Carol Kidd on the 1985 Linn Aloi label, "All My Tomorrows", said nothing, not unusual, its one of our regular Horlicks hour choices . . . 'what you done while I was out of the room'? . . . said Hazel as we listened.

No more puzzling, the balanced valve sound is back, smooth, musicality that we can relax to.

Just shows, despite all my fussing and tweaking, I can and do get it wrong. Now relaxed, decided the Croft can be sold on to someone who can enjoy the first foot on the valve ladder . . .

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Not a single reaction to a 'freebie' improvement . . . what a wast of time this site is. It is definatly time to get my coat . . . . :wall:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
2 O'clock on a Monday morning is not a great time to post if you want a response.

Anyway, here is a bump, as your 'protest' was also in the 'wee hours'.

Just out of interest, have you also 're-seated' the valves themselves since you last installed a set? (They have lots of push fit connectors so I would have thought the principle was much the same.)

Don't forget those mains plugs either. (Especially as you'll need everything disconnected from power - and cooled off - to unplug /replug the valves.)

When I had seperates, I basically unplugged everything, every few weeks in order to clean and dust behind and under the equipment (rather than just a 'surface' dust) so connections were being re-made quite frequently by default.

CJSF said:
Not a single reaction to a 'freebie' improvement . . . what a wast of time this site is. It is definatly time to get my coat . . . . :wall:

Also believe that putting something such as this in the 'Turntable' section is essential. Writing a technical piece in the melee of the 'Hi-Fi' sector and it's bound to get lost on the vinyl-heads or missed.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Also believe that putting something such as this in the 'Turntable' section is essential. Writing a technical piece in the melee of the 'Hi-Fi' sector and it's bound to get lost on the vinyl-heads or missed.

I thought most people use the "See all latest posts" button rather than waste time chopping and changing between the unwieldy number of forums and sub-forums.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

I thought most people use the "See all latest posts" button rather than waste time chopping and changing between the unwieldy number of forums and sub-forums.

Yeah, I thought that but apparently us sensible people are in the minority and everyone else really does just randomly click around the subforums. Weird...

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I should, but what I actually do (like, I suspect, most people do) is just look pretty much exclusively at the Hi-Fi forum.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
my god . . . there is life out there . . . ?

Chebby you are right, 'all' conections should be re made regularly, all the valves have been done recently, however the most obvious are the phonos. By the way I found two more that had been forgotten, my HRT DAC, dusty and tucked away behind the computer . . . and yes, there is a change for the better from radio and Spotify.

The obvious improvement that a suposed insignificant conection can make like a tucked away, cheap DAC can have, to me, emphasises the need for regular free or cheap 'maintinance'. 'Plug, play and forget' and you will start to wonder why the magic has gone from your system????? Perhaps the speakers, amp or cables dont need changing, try a tidy up and reconect first . . . :?

CJSF

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

CJ usually does start a thread in the 'turntable' section. Unusual for him to make this foray away from his traditional hunting ground. Yes we do use the "See all latest post" but a combo of late night posting and in the wrong subforum may explain why he didn't receive initial responses.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

CJ usually does start a thread in the 'turntable' section. Unusual for him to make this foray away from his traditional hunting ground. Yes we do use the "See all latest post" but a combo of late night posting and in the wrong subforum may explain why he didn't receive initial responses.

??? . . . why post something to the limited eyes of the TT section that affects 'all hifi' types . . . :wall:

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CJSF said:

So you sugesting PP that my post is technical and does not apply to digital type hifi? The re making of my conections has livened up my system both analogue and digital, therefor it is a 'general topic' . . .

CJSF

CJSF said:
plastic penguin said:
CJSF said:

So you sugesting PP that my post is technical and does not apply to digital type hifi? The re making of my conections has livened up my system both analogue and digital, therefor it is a 'general topic' . . .

CJSF

CJ, I'm just trying to give a "possible" explanation why you went numerous hours (and getting chuffed off) by a lack of responses. One thing you don't seem to grasp is when someone is trying to defend your corner. EDITED it, I won't bother anymore.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:

Yeah, I thought that but apparently us sensible people are in the minority and everyone else really does just randomly click around the subforums. Weird...

Why would I want to see the latest posts in sections of the forum I have absolutely no interest in? That would just be weird. ;)

I just look at forums that interest me & that is far removed from randomly clicking.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Crocodile said:
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:

Why would I want to see the latest posts in sections of the forum I have absolutely no interest in? That would just be weird. ;)

I just look at forums that interest me & that is far removed from randomly clicking.

Because then you might see a post you are interested in that was put in the wrong forum. Besides, there are so few posts here it's not like it's a hardship to just use the active posts lists. Just seems to be logical, you can still ignore any threads you're not interested in (I do) whilst ensuring you won't miss any title that takes your eye.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:

Lol , I heard the thump when you collapsed on the floor from here CJ ;). One you may, or may not have, forgot to do is your cart tags. Fiddly job at the best of times but worth doing now and again. I set up a cart for someone a few months ago and the tags/pins had oxidised so much I was worried that something was going to give due to the effort needed to pull the little sods off. Doubt if there are many cart swappers like me on here so tis worth baring in mind for the fit and forget peeps.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Side swipes I can do with out PP.

Quote: . . . 'Writing a technical piece in the melee of the 'Hi-Fi' sector and it's bound to get lost on the vinyl-heads or missed'.

'Technical, hifi sector, lost on vinyl-heads, . . . I dont know why I bother to share my experiances getting the best from a hifi system?

CJSF

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
ID. said:
I should, but what I actually do (like, I suspect, most people do) is just look pretty much exclusively at the Hi-Fi forum.

Seems a daft idea to me, what's the point of excluding 90% of the site?

Only looking at what they are interested in or feel I they can contribute to? That's my excuse. I spend my time in the HiFi, headphone, DACs, off topic and misc. I'll occasionally venture into something like computer audio when I'm considering setting up a NAS and streaming. I seem to be doing a good enough job trying to derail this thread. I'm probably not needed mouthing off in the home cinema forum when I have next to no interest or experience in the area.

Anyway, that's my last post dragging this thread off topic.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ID. said:
The_Lhc said:
ID. said:

Seems a daft idea to me, what's the point of excluding 90% of the site?

Only looking at what they are interested in or feel I they can contribute to? That's my excuse. I spend my time in the HiFi, headphone, DACs, off topic and misc. I'll occasionally venture into something like computer audio when I'm considering setting up a NAS and streaming. I seem to be doing a good enough job trying to derail this thread. I'm probably not needed mouthing off in the home cinema forum when I have next to no interest or experience in the area.

But again, that makes no sense, just because you can see the list of thread titles it doesn't mean you have to read every thread, never mind post to them. It's simply more efficient to refresh one page rather than keep clicking in and out of different sub-forums (especially when the forum is on a go-slow).

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
CJSF said:

Lol , I heard the thump when you collapsed on the floor from here CJ ;). One you may, or may not have, forgot to do is your cart tags. Fiddly job at the best of times but worth doing now and again. I set up a cart for someone a few months ago and the tags/pins had oxidised so much I was worried that something was going to give due to the effort needed to pull the little sods off. Doubt if there are many cart swappers like me on here so tis worth baring in mind for the fit and forget peeps.

Hi Floyd D, yep, did the cartridge tags, I keep a pair of tweezers in my draw specialy for fiddly jobs, my tags and pins are gold plated so its not to much of a problem, the arm lead is continus to the gold phono plugs. Most of my interconect male phono plugs are nickle, nickle is a better conductor than gold but has the problem of oxidisation, as I'm sure you are aware. I made the decission back in the 80's to use standard nickle plated phono plugs because of its conductive qualities. In those days I was much more intense with the husbandry of my hifi . . . no excuses, I should do remakeing of conections more often.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Hey mate, silver gold and copper are the best conductors. Nickel comes after them.

Also, don't get the ref to the Egyptian sun god :) .

Not what I was told . . . however, I stand corrected?

Sun god? . . . may be my spelling? :doh:

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts