Spendor S6e, ProAc Studio 140, Totem of some sort, or else

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello Everybody

I've been a "lurker" here for while and finally decided to join. I've been looking for a new set of smallish floorstanders for a while now and thought that I would ask people's opinions about the few ideas I have. I have a NAD C355 amp with computer and a Beresford DAC as a primary source. The room is about 14 by 16 feet with speakers on the long wall. The room is open into the kitchen on the left. I listen to varied music: classical, jazz, electronica, indy rock. I've been using Monitor Audio S8's so far but I've grown tired of their bright nature and I'm looking for a change/upgrade. I also think that the MA S8's can get too bassy in my space as well - I need to have them only about a foot away from the wall. I recently bought a pair of used Spendor S5e's and I like them a lot but I'm not convinced that my NAD is really up to the task of driving them properly. I'm selling the S5e's to continue the search. I found that I like the smooth Spendor sound though and I'm wondering if the bigger S6e's would work better with my NAD - they are a bit more sensitive than the S5e's and the bit more bass extension would be nice too. The dealer I bought from before has currently a pair of demo S6e's for about $1700 US but he's not local and I don't have a way to audition them - for some reason the local Spendor dealer here does not carry S6e model (they only have S5e and S8e). Buying Spendor new at list price is not really an option as I'm able to spend about $2000 (S5e's are currently listed at $2400 in the US). Another option is ProAc Studio 140 - I found a local dealer that has a new pair for $2200 I could stretch to that got a ding on the back in shipping. I heard them and liked them a lot but I woulr really like to stay under $2000 if possible. ProAc's have the bottom port going for them also though which should make them better suited to being close to the back wall although the S5e's didn't do bad in that respect at all either. Another speaker I looked into is Totem Sttaf that seems to be overlooked in the Totem lineup - they sounded rather good for such a small design. Then there is also the new ERA Design D10 towers (listed at $1700 and front-ported) although these are not very well known in Europe I imagine. I would love to hear Neat Motive towers and Rega R3/R5 but these virtually non-existent in the US so not really an option unless I'm willing to buy blind/deaf. Any suggestion.....?

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Oh my...you have a lot on your mind, don't you? If I were you I would keep the S5e's and get a quality amplification such as Cyrus 8vs or Cambridge Audio Azur 840a. That would be an eye-opening upgrade. The NAD wouldn't do justice to any Totem's either, so you would still need to upgrade your amplifier. In other words, ditch the NAD. The speakers you are looking at deserve better.

A

Anonymous

Thank your for your response. Hmm..., sounds like a great idea, however, due to finances not really an option. It's either speakers or amp and then a couple of years later the other - reality is what it is. Also, remeber that I'm in the US: Cyrus is also rather non-existent here and Cambridge Audio is rather rare as well. Is the CA 840a really considered to be a better amp that C355? I thought that they were rather comparable - shows what I know. Since I got the NAD not that long ago, I think I'll be keeping it for while and would rather put my meager resources into speakers - that pesky reality again.

A

Anonymous

Why not try the Spendor stand mounters? Or, what about B&W such as the 683?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I would say that the speakers you currently have are the strong part of your system. Other bits need changing before going for new speakers like the ones you have mentioned. What you are saying is a bit like putting a body kit on a car and then hoping it goes faster.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS