Spendor S6e or S5e or PMC FB1i or GB1i? Somebody make my mind up please!

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Right, so I had almost made my mind up to get PMC GB1i's as my stereo speakers, to go with my Arcam AV9 P7 combo. However, I could not quite convince myself not to go with the more expensive FB1is instead. On demo so far the only speakers that have come close in my mind are the Spendor A5/A6s at very similar price points. The dilema I am having is that my local Sevenoaks now has the old Spendor S5/S6s etc in stock at significantly reduced prices, meaning I could get the S6 pair plus a centre channel for almost the same price as a pair of GB1is. I will spend as much as I need to in order to get a great system, but I obviously would rather not spend mroe than I have to!

Should I even be looking at the bigger speakers at all given my room is 4.5m x 4.5m?

The S5e I listened to today was very good, but it was not with the Arcam (I am listening to thqat combo later in the week, but unfortunately cannot listen to the PMC's and Spendors back to back as they are at different dealers).

What does everyone think. I know that the PMC's are well known to go with Arcam kit, but what about the Spendors? Anyone running a 5.1 Spendor system with the Arcam AV systems?

Any advice greatly received as I seem to be going round in circles!

SteveR750

Well, you can see the stuff I have from my sig - and the spendors are absolutely stunning. I thought they might be underwhelming (thank you martin colloms), but they have brought my system to life. OK room acoustics play a huge part, and my room is "bright" but these things just bounce along wonderfully with such a refined clean mid / upper mid that just opens every song out. The bottom end is as deep as you'd need in a normal suburban house, and the K2 simply sings with them. They are an easy load too, so I guess even a budget amp would give them a pretty good signal.

gregvet:

Right, so I had almost made my mind up to get PMC GB1i's as my stereo speakers, to go with my Arcam AV9 P7 combo. However, I could not quite convince myself not to go with the more expensive FB1is instead. On demo so far the only speakers that have come close in my mind are the Spendor A5/A6s at very similar price points. The dilema I am having is that my local Sevenoaks now has the old Spendor S5/S6s etc in stock at significantly reduced prices, meaning I could get the S6 pair plus a centre channel for almost the same price as a pair of GB1is. I will spend as much as I need to in order to get a great system, but I obviously would rather not spend mroe than I have to!

Should I even be looking at the bigger speakers at all given my room is 4.5m x 4.5m?

The S5e I listened to today was very good, but it was not with the Arcam (I am listening to thqat combo later in the week, but unfortunately cannot listen to the PMC's and Spendors back to back as they are at different dealers).

What does everyone think. I know that the PMC's are well known to go with Arcam kit, but what about the Spendors? Anyone running a 5.1 Spendor system with the Arcam AV systems?

Any advice greatly received as I seem to be going round in circles!

We can't make up your mind for you. . .Wow! this is tricky, but I have entry-level Arcam DIVA and when I listened to it on the old GB1's, it sounded terrific. Unfortunately, they out of my price range.

I haven't heard the Spendors, but any advice is immaterial, whatever sound does it for you - don't forget the 'gut feeling'.

If you can afford the FB1's then go for it because your Arcam is pretty special - I'm envious.

A

Anonymous

Gosh, what a superb decision to have to make.

The FB1s have a superb, taught, additive bass to them and I've always had a soft spot for them. I'm not sure how they'll sound in a room that size once you factor in the real life positioning constraints. I heard the GB1s in a large space and thought that they FB1s were much better, partly due to the bass quality.

The Spendor A6s would be the top of my list without question. I love them. The older S series is also superb and an audition would be very worthwhile. Spendor speakers just seem to satisfy my need for a smooth, fluid, natural, detailed and crystal clear sound! I'm biased
emotion-1.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As far as AV is concerned, the PMC's will be the better choice. The Spendors will be great in a 2 channel system, but not as hot in a surround system. Also, mixing Arcam with Spendor tends to be a little on the dull side - fine for those that like it that way, but not what I expect people want their movies to sound like.

caddyhound

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
Have just bought PMC FB1i to go with my Tag/Primare AV system and I love them.My room is not as big as yours though.I also auditioned OB1i's and I would have bought them straight away if my room had been bigger.The FB1i's were the closest I could get to them.Good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts