Specific speaker advice please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi ,

Their is such a huge choice out their of speakers.So I'd thought I'd ask a few questions that are more specific for my requirements to narrow my search .At the moment I have some Bookshelf, active monitor speakers .I use them for music production and general listening . My current speakers,Whilst for monitoring are fine ,do not give much bass depth .In-fact most of their sub base comes out of the back portal .I'd like something a little more that can be felt .

So I thought I'd look into some more fun HI-FI floor standing speakers .I listen to electronic/house/dance styles of music. so a well controlled ,deep bass production, is essential .

My budget is approx £200-350 .I don't mind buying second hand or new .They will be in a room of approx 4 meters by 5 meters .At the moment I don't have a amp ,so I think I will first find the speakers, then I'll buy a amp to power them .

So, I'm basically wanting some fun sounding speakers, that are noted to have a Good lower end reproduction for Electronic genres of music .

Thanks in advance for any help guys :)

:quest:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As far as quality is concerned, most standmount type speakers will outperform equivalently priced floorstanding ones, and even then, at this sort of price level, it will depend on just how good you want them to be.

There are very few floorstanding speakers in this price bracket, and those that are will unlikely bring anything to the party that you're going to enjoy. I think your better option will be to add a sub, but again, sub quality in this price bracket isn't going to be studio quality, so again, it'll depend on your requirements and expectations.

I think at this point you will have to decide whether you're going for bass quantity or accuracy. Both come at a price.

A

Anonymous

Yes a sub would be fine provided it will match ok with my monitors.If I remember correctly they are m-audio monitors(check when im home).They have a built in amp .The only outputs from the main speaker are for the left hand speaker and a headphone output(which mutes the speakers when plugged).The source is from my pc's audio card.So what would be the best configuration to match a sub?.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Usually the sub will have throughput connections that allow the signal to pass to the monitors untouched, this preamplified signal can then also be used for the sub and is filtered to set the sub up according to your room and your speakers.

Have a look at the manufacturers recommendations for sub setup with your speakers, failing that, pop into your local proaudio shop and ask for advice.

There are plenty of subs around at your budget, but your money will go further in the second hand market.

A

Anonymous

Yes a sub would be fine provided it will match ok with my monitors.They are m-audio studiophile av40 speakers.They have a built in amp .The only outputs from the main speaker are for the left hand speaker and a headphone output(which mutes the speakers when plugged).The source is from my pc's audio card.So what would be the best configuration to match a sub?.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
made_in_womb said:
Yes a sub would be fine provided it will match ok with my monitors.They are m-audio studiophile av40 speakers.They have a built in amp .The only outputs from the main speaker are for the left hand speaker and a headphone output(which mutes the speakers when plugged).The source is from my pc's audio card.So what would be the best configuration to match a sub?.

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/m-audio-sbx10-powered-studio-subwoofer--68397

Give these guys a ring, they might be able to help with this m-audio sub.

A

Anonymous

Sorry for the double posts !.

Thanks guys for clearing up some issues . Especially that I can get a sub with a' pre-amp out' to feed to the monitors .

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/m-audio-sbx10-powered-studio-subwoofer--68397

Looks like those should do just the Job :dance: .

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Try a pair of Goodmans Magisters for £30. They will give you the decent bass that you crave. You might want to check that they are fully working when you collect them from Bornemouth. Then all you need is a super little Japanese amp to go with them. Something like one of the 2nd hand Sony ES integrateds for about £150.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts